•  
Advertise here

SUV Choice

sertac

Hi;

I have been in dubai for 7 months now. But i just start working and need to buy a car. Before i was driving my father`s Jeep Grand Cherokee and i really love that one. I went few times off road with it, i really enjoyed. I am living in marina and working in Sharjah. I have long highway drive everyday. I am looking for a SUV can fit my daily drive needs and i can go off road with. My budget is low. I am planing to pay 25-30.000AED. I have some cars on my mind but some people said dont buy american cars they are not reliable. Our Jeep done well till now, there were no problem only we did regular services and it is 6 years old car. 

Normally i was thinking to get 2008-2012 Jeep Cherokee 3.7 or 2009-2010 Ford Explorer 4.0. I believe these cars can fit me well. But as i said some people directly said dont buy those. I started to search for some japanese SUV`s and i found 2010 Mitsubishi Pajero 3 door 3.8, 2011-2012 Nissan Xterra(base model), 2007-2010 Nissan Patfinder, 2007-2008 Toyota Prado 4.0. 

So i am really confused. Japanese cars are reliable but mostly, they are not my type. What is your ideas about that? 

It's a very good question and very well put, writing a lot of people similar confusion in words. I have advised plenty of my colleague on this exact issue.

To start with, I have been driving for last 15 years in Dubai and 10 years in offroad. Best advice is to keep the separate car for offroad for the endless reasons, (too long to list here). However, if as a beginner you still wish to have one ride fits all need, then you can choose any American, UK or Japanese cars (plenty choices), but when you consider 5-10 years of age used car then the only choice you have is Japanese folks per below list of order:

1. Prado (AWESOME)
  2. Xterra (AMAZING)
  3. Pajero (3.8 - Good, 3.5 - OK, 3.0 - NO)
  4. Pathfinder - (Post 2006 shape - NOOOOOO)

The only American ride after 5 years of age can still ride good in sand is Jeep Wrangler or may be cherokee (not grand cherokee). These cherokee and Grand were awesome prior to 2004 shape, but hard to get one clean now, which has not been abused already.

Ford explorer - NO

Ford explorer - sport trac truck - Yes (with 2 inch lift)

F-150 trucks - Yes, but expensive in maintenance

Overall Japanese are more reliable and maintenance friendly that's why people choose them as a first choice especially in offroad. 

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again guys. I just got my id and visa tomorrow i will exchange my driving license. Finally i am able to buy a car. In this time i checked many Ford Explorer i really liked that car but everyone(including my mechanic) said same thing. You will broke that car in first off road drive. Seems like cherokee kk is not much reliable, i am passing that one.

Prado and FJ; I really like the fj but 25-30.000 budget its almost impossible to get clean one. I dont want to buy us spec or more than 200.000km. Prado also expensive and not attractive for me.

Pajero 3dr 3.5 or 3.8: 3.5 cheap and easy to find but 3.8 better but hard to find one. Not my first choice.

I am thinking to get 2008-09 pathfiner or xterra. Xterra there are some but hard to find clean one. What do you thing about Pathfinder. This one can fit my budget and i like it. @Gaurav why you said nooo for pathfinder?

In your budget you should be able to get the Pajero 3.8 SWB. Most of the Pajero's are hardly taken off road so you might get a clean one. But try to stay away from the 2009 to 2014 models as they have a peculiar up-shifting problem in tiptronic. 

If you are checking Cherokee look for the Cherokee XJ (1997 to 2001) models, they are quite rugged. Dont look at the later models. Difficult to get a clean one, but you might get lucky. You will have to do some work on them to reduce the overheating issue. 

Further, many might agree on this forum that the older vehicles, i.e., prior to 2004 were better built for offroad use than the later versions. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, sertac said:

@Gaurav why you said nooo for pathfinder?

Coz it is no longer a proper off-road as it transforms into soft-roader that requires serious body modification and lift for regular offroad use. Prior to 2004 model year, it is fantastic off-roader and ready for any use out of the box.

I personally know, two guys who have spent a lot in that transformation of their 2008 and 2010 model pathfinder but still not happy and fully convince.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, sertac said:

this one looks soo good and ready to get beaten up... Since its an old jeep, i assume its easy to work on as well... comparatively low mileage too

• Like (+1) 1

Today i talked with my mechnic. He said XJ is really good car, fun to drive but it will be very hard to find parts. When you need a part we have to order from us. 

What about Suzuki Grand Vitara? As i know not a powerful engine but light weight also it has lock diff. Is it enogh for desert?

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/suzuki/grand-vitara/2017/10/25/suzuki-grand-vutara-2011-fullauto-accident-2/

XJ is a simple vehicle. I think you can get the original MOPAR parts from Trading Enterprises and if not available in stock they will order it. But lot of the parts can be put from other makes (also called Tejari).

Important Information

Terms of use