•  

Desert Drive from Al Hayer to Nahel - 29 Sep 2017

Srikumar

Since its been about 2 weeks from the last desert drive, my mind was getting restless. Guess am completely infected by the desert bug, so after discussing with Gaurav, I though of posting a desert drive. :-D

idea is to meet up somewhere near Al Hayer and then drive to Nahel. From google maps it looks like an interesting terrain. I have not been to this area, so it would be great if someone can suggest a meeting point . Plan is as follows:

When: 29 September 2017
Meeting time: 7:00 AM, convoy will move at 7:15 AM 
Where: First ADNOC Station while exiting from E66 onto E20 

GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/ncY7BeVTct12

Level of drive: Fewbie - Expert - Advance - (absolute newbie and newbie as passengers only)
Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
Plan: Early morning drive from Al Hayer to Nahel
What to bring along: Morning breakfast - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, and enthusiasm.

Please RSVP on below calendar

• Like (+1) 4

Awesome initiative and excellent choice of area @skumar83

Count me and Rahim bhai in with full support.

I am so impressed to see the way you have compiled the whole drive thread for the first time, is absolutely perfect. Keep it up.

Finally, we can taste some new style of driving this Friday. I am so excited that I can't wait for this one, especially after driving behind you and Basel in last drive for the first time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• Gaurav changed the title to Desert Drive from Al Hayer to Nahel - 29 Sep 2017
On 9/26/2017 at 1:03 PM, skumar83 said:

Since its been about 2 weeks from the last desert drive, my mind was getting restless. Guess am completely infected by the desert bug, so after discussing with Gaurav, I though of posting a desert drive. :-D

idea is to meet up somewhere near Al Hayer and then drive to Nahel. From google maps it looks like an interesting terrain. I have not been to this area, so it would be great if someone can suggest a meeting point . Plan is as follows:

When: 29 September 2017
Meeting time: 5:00 AM, convoy will move at 5:15 AM 
Where: First ADNOC Station while exiting from E66 onto E20 

GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/ncY7BeVTct12

Level of drive: Fewbie - Expert - Advance - (absolute newbie and newbie as passengers only)
Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
Plan: Early morning drive from Al Hayer to Nahel
What to bring along: Morning breakfast - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, and enthusiasm.

Please RSVP on below calendar

Is it a "go"  for Friday morning, in light of the fog/mist conditions? 

What a wonderful day!! Started with some beautiful weather which kept getting better as we were reaching the meeting point. Big thank you to Gaurav bhai and Rahim bhai for training us over the past several months and giving us the confidence to lead a convoy.

After my first briefing as lead, we entered the desert and were welcomed to the sight of quite a few gazelles. Rahim bhai was so excited and that at one point he went searching for the gazelles. The terrain offered a lot of opportunity for side slopping and though I was kinda apprehensive about ridge cutting I think we still had a very good drive. @Atif bhai joined us for his second drive with Carnity and he managed himself extremely well in a challenging terrain. @baselsm83 joined as second weep and was keeping a watchful eye both on the convoy as well as towards the end on Rahim bhai's petrol tank :-D. After a good first half we settled for breakfast and then we realised that Rahim bhai trusted pathy had a fuel leak from the fuel cap. So we decided to safely exit as the weather was getting warmer as well. We were treated to a group of camels as we were exiting and at one point they started chasing us.

Thank you to @Gaurav  for watching my back, guiding me wherever needed and ensuring that the entire convoy got through safely.The beauty about leading a convoy is that you can use your imagination and there is always something unexpected which is the main challenge. I had a couple of nasty bumps, but Gaurav ensured that he modified the route a bit so that the rest of convey kept moving smoothly. As usual a big thank you to Rahim bhai to help with the sweep duties.  

I started the day with a big smile and as we went through the desert it ended up as an even bigger smile. Thank you Carnity for this day. It was truly a memorable day.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Wow, what a trip report. @skumar83 you have won our hearts by posting your first trip, leading it with confidence, keeping in mind the different levels within the convoy and a beautiful trip report to follow.

We should thank you for being the first one to initiate a drive besides @Gaurav bhai and me. I was so happy to see @Atif bhai and @baselsm83 to join the convoy. I would encourage all who have been driving with us to post a drive each. We love to be able to enjoy different leads with different driving styles.

We did this area with Gaurav bhai before, but riding behind Sree has given a totally different feel. Until next time, thank you Carnity for offering such a wonderful platform to learn and grow with each other.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use