•  
Advertise here

Al Qaswa Auto Spare parts selling fake / non-working parts

Since a couple of weeks, my Pajero was slightly overheating in the desert after few hours. Shown to two different competent mechanics and both advised to replace the Engine fan clutch, as it had mild spotting of oil leak means clutch was not getting fully engage to cool down the engine.

How does an engine fan clutch work?

• It usually spins at half of engine RPM to give an optimum cooling, but when the car overheats silicone oil inside clutch get warm and engage the clutch fully so that engine fan spins at same RPM as an engine to immediately cool down the engine. During this process, it produces enough of loud gushing noise at idle and while driving until it brings the engine to its ideal temperature.

Just FYI, this fan clutch is a completely mechanical piece of metal that has bolt-on application with 4 bolts behind the clutch. So even a layman with a single spanner can change it, let alone the competent mechanic needs.

Last week I gave the car to Saleem for a couple of maintenance jobs including this engine fan clutch replacement. 

He replaced the clutch on 28 Sep, Thursday and I tested the car on 29 Sep, Fri and again after an hour or so engine temp shot up to 75% and engine clutch fan was still running at idle speed instead of full RPM. No loud noise or gushing air flow felt from the engine hood. (Check the video).

Called Saleem to verify if he has bought all original and genuine Mitsubishi spare part and he confirmed that he bought this engine fan clutch from Al Qaswa Auto Spare Parts in Sharjah, that claim to sold him the genuine Mitsubishi spare part.

We removed that fake or non-working engine clutch fan and went to the shop for replacement/refund and we have been told that nothing is possible due to their company policy. This was the exact words from Mr. Boban M S who is Manager, Operations of Al Qaswa Auto Spare Parts TR LLC.

On the receipt, there is no mention of any refund/return policy, neither it has any terms and conditions, nor there was any company policy printed. It's truly sad and disappointing how they are selling Mitsubishi fake parts and robbing customers.

Appreciate if someone can advise how can I complain about them to Sharjah authorities, Habtoor Motors and Mitsubishi about this case and seek the refund on this fake Mitsubishi part supplied.

Video in desert after the new clutch

Pajero temp gauge.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero Engine Fan Clutch.jpg

Al Qaswa Auto Spare Parts Receipt.jpg

Al Qaswa Auto Spare Parts.jpg

Al Qaswa.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks @Gaurav for such a compehensive report. This will definitely save us from getting fake spare parts from one such crook. If you are free in the evening we can go to the Sharjah Police and try to lodge the complaint there. If they cannot help they should guide us in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 2

As far as I know, parts should have 12 months warranty. 

Maybe worth an email to Mitsubishi in Japan to let them know what’s going on. If a so called authorized seller is selling fake parts or refusing to honor warranty they might be very interested.

• Like (+1) 1

barry they have warranty on aftermarket parts too but not in this country here its just sell it and forget it...

i had a similar incident on a infiniti and a suburban they have written even on packets of each plugs that manufacturer warranty for 100k miles on it but i had to buy them again after hitting my head on injectors searching for intake leaks wasting few days then upon seeing the plug that its ceramic turned brown i had to go get them again...

• Sad (0) 1

First of all, make 1000% sure the fan is defective and its not something else that is causing the overheat. To ways. 1st check is to bring the car up to temp so that the clutch should be engaged, then switch off the car, and try to spin the fan by hand, it should have good resistance, and should not spin freely, maximum 1/4 to 1/2 turn and should stop. You should not get a good 1 or 1.5 rotation or more. 

Second is a bit risky, so do at your own risk. Roll up a good wad of newspaper or thick magazine and with the engine running at temp. Try to slowly put the roll of newspaper in the fan, after a few taps if you are able to successfully stop the fan from spinning while the engine is still running, then your clutch is toast.

The video uses only a single sheet, my advice is to get a good thick-ish roll 

Second Barry is, right escalate the matter up on all levels, write to Habtoor, Mitsubishi Middle East AND Mitsubishi Japan. I had a friend who had great success in doing so after the dealer refused to fix a few issues on his ride making all sorts of excuses as to why. In the end he got an entire new dashboard, 4 rims and tyres fitted free of cost and from then onwards, he was marked as a VIP customer in the dealers system and whatever he wanted he got ASAP. But the car was under warranty then. But no harm in trying. 

Naming and shaming with the advent of new cyber laws can actually backfire and get you in trouble for libel and defamation instead, so I'd be very careful what I say on a public forum.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Thanks @Gaurav for such a compehensive report. This will definitely save us from getting fake spare parts from one such crook. If you are free in the evening we can go to the Sharjah Police and try to lodge the complaint there. If they cannot help they should guide us in the right direction.

Thanks Rahimdad, will let you know if the need arises. I will not spare any efforts for seeking my consumer rights.

5 hours ago, Sidshk said:

@Gauravbhai try register your complaint with consumer forum.

Complete details available from below website 

http://www.sedd.ae/ConsumersWT/index_en.jsp

I don't think police will be of much help in this case.

Thanks, Sid this is exactly what I was looking for and will be reporting this first thing today evening. Really appreciate your help.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

As far as I know, parts should have 12 months warranty. 

Maybe worth an email to Mitsubishi in Japan to let them know what’s going on. If a so called authorized seller is selling fake parts or refusing to honor warranty they might be very interested.

I agree, Barry and I am under the same impression that genuine spare parts should have at least 6 months - 12 months of warranty and dealer/agent supposed to replace if it's faulty or non-working or not performing as the way it should be.

Not agreeing to any of the above options, forces me to believe that it was fake in the first place.

I will definitely report to Habtoor and Mitsubishi. Do you have any ways to report or the right email address where I can send this case full details?

2 hours ago, shadow79 said:

barry they have warranty on aftermarket parts too but not in this country here its just sell it and forget it...

i had a similar incident on a infiniti and a suburban they have written even on packets of each plugs that manufacturer warranty for 100k miles on it but i had to buy them again after hitting my head on injectors searching for intake leaks wasting few days then upon seeing the plug that its ceramic turned brown i had to go get them again...

Like I said many times in person to you before, that it isn't the case of 50 AED spark plug and it's a case of the "critical" and high-value component that should not have any chance of failure. 

What if I wouldn't be paying attention to overheating and blow up my engine, then no agent will take responsibility for this critical part being incompetent to do its job.

• Like (+1) 2

Desertdude, thanks for your ideas to check the fan clutch but they are just identifying ONLY first function when it's not working.

I have checked the resistance of the new fan clutch and it was holding little pressure as it supposed to be.

However, problem is that when the car overheated and it failed to engage fully to spin at faster RPM. Hence it failed in the second most important function of engine fan clutch.

34 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Naming and shaming with the advent of new cyber laws can actually backfire and get you in trouble for libel and defamation instead, so I'd be very careful what I say on a public forum.

There was no naming and shaming yet, and I just shared my real experience with all documented details and evidence to seek advice from other car owners in UAE. I guess that's the main purpose of Carnity to help each other with their car knowledge and experiences.

Moreover, up until yesterday as per Saleem's CONSECUTIVE advice I didn't stand any chance and now in less than 14 hours, I have got multiple ways to report and seek fair justice to my consumer rights after paying 900 AED and getting treated like a monkey from a salesman who was teaching Saleem and myself on how to identify the problem. Simply to brush away the non-working part complaint with 100 other ideas to divert attention.

All thanks to Carnity members and friends who understand the real meaning of car community in the UAE.

• Like (+1) 3