•  

Tool supplies across the world

Barry

So we’re all technicians who ended up in the Middle East, we all originated in different countries. 

How is the tool buying culture in your country?

Im from Northern Ireland, part of the UK. 

All mechanics own their own tools, many also own their own diagnostic computers. The logic behind it is that if you break it, it’s your problem, you replace it. I learned it the hard way after I connected an Autel maxisys to a Peugeot with a shorted ecu and had to replace it myself. In my time in UK I spent at least £20,000 on tools. To put that in perspective, that’s 100k dirhams. They’re still sitting on a pallet at home. The price to ship it doesn’t correlate to buying new tools here.

I was shocked when I came here and saw the garages buying tools. The mechanics would use something once and throw it. They didn’t pay for it so they don’t care. Buy a 10mm spanner on the company account, tighten a nut, leave it in the engine bay while the customer drives away. 

Noticed this culture a lot in my new job with paintbrushes. Back home I’ll buy a paint brush, use it, wash it and use it again. Here it’s buy it, use it, throw it and buy another.

Any similar experiences?

its like that barry...i once had a worker with me he used to loose things i warned him told him that if it happens again then i am gonna buy it from his salary but yet as always it happened again and again...

It makes my dung boil. There's just a complete lack of respect for other people's property here, tools or otherwise.

The only solution is to hit them where it hurts, the wallet.

Decency and manners are lacking in a lot of people. If you borrow something, use it, clean it and leave it back. How hard is it? Honestly, I'd love to see a U.K.  style system here. If you need a tool, buy it. If you pay for it you'll damn sure look after it. Last garage I worked in as foreman, every man got assigned a full toolbox. When they left, the box was checked top to bottom. If anything was missing or broken, I took it from their final salary. Got in so many fights over it too. 

here if a neighbouring garage comes and borrows something then you must remember to get it back by night or else that tool will be lost tool by next day...i have just totally stopped lending tools all together now only 2 shops get to use my tools and some times i go to them if i need something...

Interesting tools saga from the bruised heart. Never knew that workshop suffers so much on tools.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

and do you know the tools don't come cheap....

I agree that means I should also charge people for using my tools in desert to factor the damages/lost

• Confused (0) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use