•  
Advertise here

Car vibrates on throttle.

So I didn't want to type this like a complete idiot so I took my time and did some research to what could be the problem.

So basically, months ago the car used to vibrate around a 100kph and only on throttle but it was ignored as the vibration was not huge. Someone could have easily blamed it on the tires. But just recently the car started behaving this way. It would go bananas at 40kph all the way to 120kph. So I browsed around the internet and read somewhere that too much torque to one wheel and as I had posted earlier that in a burnout only one wheel would spin so I had every reason at blaming the lsd. But then I also read about cv joint going bad and remembered that i had seen some yellowish fluid around the inside of the wheels. And on recent inspection one of the cv joints was shiny (like oil splattered shiny) and the other dusty. So now I am hanging between diff and cv joint.

I want you to help me by asking questions based on the problem so that I can narrow it down to the culprit so i don't burn money and end up nowhere with the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

I guess you’re talking about the inner cv joint which goes into the diff?

Smell the oil on it. Gear oil is stinky and you can’t mistake it for anything else. Maybe the oil seal has gone and all the oil has come out of the diff and screwed it. So worth checking how much oil is in it too. 

If there’s yellowish fluid on the inside of the wheel rim, the first thing to do is make sure it’s not brake fluid. Then look at the rubber boot on the cv joint and see if there are clips on both ends and that the rubber isn’t split. If the grease has come out of the joint, you can try repacking it again and sealing it up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It depends on how much driving you’ve done with no grease in it. 

Probably best if you just take it to a proper mechanic who should be able to diagnose it in 15-20 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 3

Death Wobble. Usually starts when you hit a bump or uneven patch, but not always. Look it up, common for solid axel 4x4s Something in your steering linkage is knackered, could be a bush or a ball joint or both.

• Like (+1) 1

Clicking sound could be cv joint or diff. I would look at the cv joint first. Is the sound coming from the front or back? Center or side? If you drive in a circle with the steering on full lock can you hear a click?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Barry said:

Clicking sound could be cv joint or diff. I would look at the cv joint first. Is the sound coming from the front or back? Center or side? If you drive in a circle with the steering on full lock can you hear a click?

Kind of hard to determine wether it is the front or the back but I think it is the cv. I will check next time the car is driven.

Here is the update. Did not drive the car to find out where the sound is coming from but I inspected it some more. I saw rear lsd oil leak (did not see it before so it is new) and inspected the cv joints better to find out yellowish type of paste splattered all over the inside fender. There is some of that stuff splattered on the inner cv joint aswell and there is some oil or shiny fluid under the belts of the ac compressor and engine.

10 hours ago, desertdude said:

Death Wobble. Usually starts when you hit a bump or uneven patch, but not always. Look it up, common for solid axel 4x4s Something in your steering linkage is knackered, could be a bush or a ball joint or both.

I don't think it is death wobble cuz the car is driveable (I dont know till when) and the vibration is a lot less intense.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Hello gearheads,

So I had gone to my country for sometime and left this matter in the hands of a friend of my father. So he got it fixed, although what was damaged could not be clarified because the guy has less knowledge about cars. Although he says, the issue was the torsion bars being torqued down too low (yes i decreased the ride height upfront) which caused the weight of the engine to be put down on the shocks and springs. I find this very hard to believe. Confirm it guys?

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1