Advertise here

Do you fix your car by yourself?

Gaurav

DIY car repairing  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fix your car by yourself?

• Yes, I do / wish to
    • No, I don't / not interested

Just wondering to know how many of us here actually fix their own car by themselves?

This includes people who have just done the little job or they even wish to work on their own car in free time.

Please poll and share your stories.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

last time i had a guy come in who didn't wanted to pay up and said that its a kids play to fix his cars leaking head gasket i rented my tools to him and made him fix it himself where i at most of the time had to supervise his work and had to guide him and later on had to fix the head myself as he had given up....but in the end he payed me good and left a nice tip too :-D

• Like (+1) 1

Technically no because I don't have a car yet but as soon as I get finished with my ex employer for screwing me, I will. Started out as a hobby, ended up making a living from it. Now doing other things and seriously considering never going back to it as a full time job.

I have several times done small service and repairs by myself and I would love to carry out bigger jobs on my own. Space and lack of tools at times stops me from doing it. At times it's my bad shoulder. Still like to watch and help whenever I can.

• Like (+1) 1

I pretty much worked on all I cars Ive owned save for bigger jobs or jobs that needed an extra pair od hands, then I would go down to my buddies workshop and we would tackle it toghter. This year Ive been ( out of need ) doing a lot of electrical work. Most extensive job this year was dismantling my interior center console and modifying a connector bmw ignition switch which I got from the scrappies for 50dhs which is exactly the same pin wise but a connector collar is a mirror image. Similar LR part would cost me a couple of grand. Unfortunately that wasnt the issue. So had to pull out the starter from below which was huge PITA got it refurbished at a little hidden shop that just does starter motors and dynamos. Put everything back and the job was a good one. 

Other electrical job was in my other older ride which developed a strange issue that every now and then while driving all interior power and headlights and tails would go out and then come back after sometime. After lengthy investigation I narrowed it down to what could only be power supply from under the hood fusebox to the interior ecu under the driver seat. So ran a new lenght of wire instead of ripping out the entire wiring loom from the fusebox point to interior ecu ( it helps to have repair manuals and electrical diagrams !) And its been 6 months plus and its been working fine. 

So overall I think saved myself atleast a few grand in repair costs. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with all of the above comments if you DIY you will exactly attend what is faulty and also do it to the perfection like an English saying: If you want the job well done, then do it yourself - real word of wisdom.

I usually don't get my hands dirty but I do supervise and counter question even the best mechanic on board here ;-) not because I don't trust them, but to really learn and practice someday what they do. I love learning new stuff in car mechanical work out of curiosity and for a reason to be ready for any unforeseen situation.

So far I have done below stuff in various cars:

• Changed spark plugs for Range Rover
  • Troubleshoot vacuum and missing cause in my Pajero
  • Changed thermostat in Land Cruiser
  • Helping hand to barry when we have to rip apart the Pajero manifold in a jiffy for fixing fuel injector leak for a next day offroad drive.
  • Endless desert quick fix or makeshift arrangement in various cars.
  • Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Myself, prefer if time is willing to do my own. 

Find great satisfaction in fixing the faults. 

• BMW X5, water pump and fuel rail. Later, water leak from the back of the inlet manifold.
  • BMW E36, window motors and ECU and front struts.
  • Bentley Eight, find starter fault and replace relay and relay holder.