•  
Advertise here

How to Clean windscreen from Oily Effect

The best thing I’ve ever used to clean glass, and I’ve used a lot of expensive products, is white vinegar and newspaper. Spray the vinegar on and wipe it off with the newspaper. It doesn’t smell good but the smell clears after a few minutes. Don’t forget to either clean or replace the rubbers on the wipers or you’ll be back to square one first time you wipe. 

Its good to make sure there’s no oily residues in your windscreen washer tank too. 

Are you 100% sure it’s residue on the windscreen and not scratching? Scratches seem to be part of life here with all the sand in the air. If they aren’t deep, they can be polished out. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Fill the tank to the top and if there’s oily stuff in it, you’ll see it floating on top. But as you said it’s inside the car, that won’t be the problem. 

Do you smoke in the car? Tar and nicotine sticks to glass and is very hard to remove but vinegar will shift it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Barry said:

Fill the tank to the top and if there’s oily stuff in it, you’ll see it floating on top. But as you said it’s inside the car, that won’t be the problem. 

Do you smoke in the car? Tar and nicotine sticks to glass and is very hard to remove but vinegar will shift it. 

Nope i don't smoke in Car

I have found that some of the gunk people spray on their seats and dashboards to make them look "nice and shiny" contains volatiles that stick to interior glass surfaces when the stuff evaporates. No matter how many times you remove it, the the oily film will reappear the next time the car interior gets hot, so if you are using any type of interior spray, stop using it and see what happens.

If this is what is causing the problem, it will go away by itself eventually, but in the meantime, try covering the dashboard with some impermeable material that will stop the volatile material from getting onto the inside of the windscreen. 

In one case I remember, my client had to replace the dashboard because the previous owner of the car  had used so much dashboard spray over a long period that the entire foam structure had become saturated with the stuff. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, treks said:

I have found that some of the gunk people spray on their seats and dashboards to make them look "nice and shiny" contains volatiles that stick to interior glass surfaces when the stuff evaporates. No matter how many times you remove it, the the oily film will reappear the next time the car interior gets hot, so if you are using any type of interior spray, stop using it and see what happens.

If this is what is causing the problem, it will go away by itself eventually, but in the meantime, try covering the dashboard with some impermeable material that will stop the volatile material from getting onto the inside of the windscreen. 

In one case I remember, my client had to replace the dashboard because the previous owner of the car  had used so much dashboard spray over a long period that the entire foam structure had become saturated with the stuff. 

I think this might be a reason as i have been using Cockpit spray and Leather shiner, Is there any way to make it normal ?? 

3 hours ago, Sidshk said:

I think this might be a reason as i have been using Cockpit spray and Leather shiner, Is there any way to make it normal ?? 

If you have been using Cockpit spray and leather conditioner there is nothing you can do except to stop using it, and to wait for all the volatiles to evaporate from the residue on the dashboard and seats. 

That's interesting about the cockpit spray soaking into the foam of the dashboard. I've used it plenty of times on my own cars in the past. I've never built it up in layers though. Between uses, I've always cleaned the old stuff off with an (in)appropriate solvent first. A shiny dashboard does have its disadvantages, especially in a sunny climate. The sun reflecting off the dashboard back onto the screen creates an awful glare. Flocked dashes ala rally car would be a nice touch if they could ever make it durable enough.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Millions of people use cockpit sprays without ever having any sort of problem, but many people also use it wrong. The best way to use this stuff is to spray a bit onto a micro-fiber cloth first, and then to wipe the surface with the cloth, thus transferring the spray onto the surface in a very thin layer. 

Of course, removing old layers of the stuff  regularly is also a good thing, but in my experience, many people think that if a thin layer is good, plastering it on is ten times better...

• Thanks (+1) 1