•  
Advertise here

Leaking LSD.

So I was inspecting the underside of my car and I saw signs of oil leak on the LSD housing. But, it has gotten old because it is dry and thick. What could cause an lsd leak and what could an lsd leak cause?

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

There's only really 4 places it can leak. The big seal around the housing cover, the bung, the pinion seal and the 2 seals at the end of the axle.

:? I think it is from where you fill it up.

lsd oil usually does not come ready you have to mix a small bottle of clutch oil with the diff oil and then pump it at the differential...keep it at the required level or else you will be facing a good repair bill later on...

14 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

lsd oil usually does not come ready you have to mix a small bottle of clutch oil with the diff oil and then pump it at the differential...keep it at the required level or else you will be facing a good repair bill later on...

symptoms of low lsd oil?

28 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

What? Of course you can get LSD oil, all the main manufacturers do it,

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-970-limited-slip-diff.aspx

I wish opie oils was in UAE, would have saved me so many headaches in the past. Order a jar of oil, it's on your doorstep next day. One particular instance, I rebuilt an eaton supercharger for a MINI. Couldn't find the oil anywhere for love nor money, parts shops all told me there's no such thing as supercharger oil. But of course there is, what else is inside the supercharger? Eventually found a GM part number for it so went to all the GM dealers, sorry sir, no such part number, doesn't exist. They were just too lazy to get it for me. Ended up waiting 2 months for that desertcart guy to drop ship it from USA. 

21 minutes ago, umarcrespo333 said:

symptoms of low lsd oil?

It won't lock, i.e. spin one wheel. Usually when it gets to that stage, it's banjaxed and needs rebuilt. Without stripping and inspection, the easiest thing you can do is fill it up and see if it still works. Probably worth dropping the old oil out and seeing what it looks like first. If it's black and smells clutchy, it's not a good sign.

15 minutes ago, Barry said:

It won't lock, i.e. spin one wheel. Usually when it gets to that stage, it's banjaxed and needs rebuilt. Without stripping and inspection, the easiest thing you can do is fill it up and see if it still works. Probably worth dropping the old oil out and seeing what it looks like first. If it's black and smells clutchy, it's not a good sign.

That happens but the other wheel does spin but with little power compared to the other wheel.