•  
Advertise here

Strap vs Cable vs better option

As you all know, when you get stuck in the sand, getting pulled is the first thing that comes to mind which means you need have tow cable as the most important accessory. 

Although, it is my first time buying any of these things so I don't know which one to get. I saw a strap for 40 dhs which I cant say was decent quality because I don't what a decent strap looks like. It had a breaking load of 4000kgs and limit of 2000kgs. 

Then there was steel cable with simple hooks on either side for 20dhs. Again, I cant say if it was decent quality because I don't know what to look for in a quality cable. Although, there was no written weight limit on the cable packaging. Do you mind helping? which one should I get? Even if any of those lasts me one day I will be happy and I think 40 dhs is a bargain, or is it because I don't know what a good strap or cable should cost.

Although, if both of them are crap what and where should I get it from. I wouldn't spend a lot on it because I am not a hardcore offroader and my trips are severely limited.

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

If you are looking at a cheap strap that would last you a single day, you might be better of without one. The ones that you mentioned might not even last one tug let alone one day. It's better you invest in a good rope / strap with good rated hooks.

The hooks need to be rated for 3.5 tons, and the rope has to be rated up-to 13 tons approx.

Edited by skumar83
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, umarcrespo333 said:

As you all know, when you get stuck in the sand, getting pulled is the first thing that comes to mind which means you need have tow cable as the most important accessory. 

Although, it is my first time buying any of these things so I don't know which one to get. I saw a strap for 40 dhs which I cant say was decent quality because I don't what a decent strap looks like. It had a breaking load of 4000kgs and limit of 2000kgs. 

Then there was steel cable with simple hooks on either side for 20dhs. Again, I cant say if it was decent quality because I don't know what to look for in a quality cable. Although, there was no written weight limit on the cable packaging. Do you mind helping? which one should I get? Even if any of those lasts me one day I will be happy and I think 40 dhs is a bargain, or is it because I don't know what a good strap or cable should cost.

Although, if both of them are crap what and where should I get it from. I wouldn't spend a lot on it because I am not a hardcore offroader and my trips are severely limited.

Thanks.

What you want is a kinetic strap that stretches when a load is applied to it, which reduces the stresses and strains on both vehicles. You may also want to research the topic of vehicle recovery, and learn how to calculate the actual weight of a stuck vehicle, which varies depending how the vehicle is stuck.

To be safe though, get a kinetic strap that is rated for at least 15 tons- this will get you out of almost all sticky situations safely, and without damage to either vehicle.

• Like (+1) 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good rated kinetic rope cost in the range of 500 - 1000 Dhs. Rated straps in the range of 200 - 500 dhs.

Always remember that rope and strap have their own great uses and it's better to have both for different uses. Regular tugs kinetic or viking ropes are good as treks mentioned. In load bearing tug or dragging uphill straps are the best.

Cables are too old fashioned and will take too much space and maintenance if you go with real rated cables and not fuel station 40 dhs cables made for civic and corollas.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, sertac said:

Get proper kinetic strap. Dont get those cheap things. If anything bad happens it will cost you more.

Bear in mind though that kinetic straps need to recover after each use. Typical recovery times vary, but a good quality strap should regain its original length in about 8 - 12 hours or so. 

• Like (+1) 3