•  
Advertise here

Help Needed in Car Audio System Selection

Srikumar

Hey,

The component speakers will indeed have their own filter on board, but the lowest frequencies are anyway sent to the door speakers. A high pass crossover on your Amp will allow you to filter out everything below 80hertz so your subwoofer can take these on instead of the 5.25" front speakers. Its not a must but more a "nice to have" on your Amp.

Pertaining the secondhand stuff; you might find some on dubizzle if you keep a close eye on it, but be careful when buying secondhand speakers: it's difficult to test them when you buy them, and they might have been abused heavily. Check on souq for deals and good prices. I have bad experiences with sharjah and find it more convenient to get everything delivered. 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• Like (+1) 1

In an ideal world for awesome clarity and crisp output, everything should route through AMP. You should have 4 channel decent AMP for 4 speakers and 2 Channel AMP for the woofer. Or you can get powerful 4 channel AMP and use two channel for 4 speakers by clubbing front left + rear left as one set and so on for right side and use other 2 channel for the woofer. Or you can get 6 channel AMP but the price will be a lot more than having two AMP.

Secondly in any sound system built, the head unit is the main jewel in the crown. Do not compromise on that, I was having 3 years old Sony xplod single 52W RMS unit that I replaced with Pioneer 100W RMS and just by replacing the head unit, the whole sound scene changed dramatically.

While doing my system some of the geniuses here advise me too to go for the used component, but after researching the main issue I stopped. Expensive cars factory unit run with a lot of support at AMP and controller level and design with that size and sound space inside that car, so unless you rip every sound module from the donor car and place it exactly same in your car you won't' enjoy, as you will lose the secret recipe of "config". I have gone to my friend's place to listen to his Harman Kardon speaker and realize they sound too bad as just speaker alone from scrap can't do the full justice. They perform well only at a certain level and moment you want to crank up the volume, you realize there is something wrong.

Crutchfield has tons of good information and build list, that I strongly suggest to use and educate from. IMHO go for new one so that you can size everything perfectly for your car.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi, I have so far been able to finalise the speakers as follows:

Front speakers - JBL Club 6500 Component 6.5" 60W RMS - AED 235

Rear Speakers - JBL GT6-5 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers 40W RMS AED 115  or Alpine 2 Way Coaxial Car Speaker 6.5" 50 W RMS - SPJ-161C2 AED 160

Regarding the amplifier I selected a 4 channel amp with HPF based on the above rating. I will bridge 2 channels for the sub and use the remaining 2 channels to power the pair of front and rear speakers respectively.

Pioneer GM-A6704 - with Nominal Power RMS at 4 ohm - 60 W x 4 channel 

Datasheet is available at https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Series/GM-A6704

But I have a doubt and that is, if I am connecting a pair of speakers on each channel, then should I add the RMS rating of each pair. For example, in the case of the front speakers (which I have selected), the RMS rating of each is 60 W, so total is 120 W. Does the amp need to be rated for 120 W RMS per channel at 4 ohm?

Also, do I need to match the resistance (4 ohm, 3 ohm, etc)  between the amp and the sub?

• Like (+1) 1

Hi there 

As you will be connecting 4 speakers to a 2 channel, the Amp will run in 2ohm. According to the specs of the Amp it is giving 4x95 watts nominal at that impedance. It's difficult to say exactly how much the amp will be able to deliver exactly. That's not so important anyway because your front speakers are 60watts rms only. The best to do is set the amp to its minimum sensitivity while testing, then put the volume to around 80% on the head unit, and than slowly increase the sensitivity on your Amp until your front speakers are starting to distort. The reduce again a little bit. 

There is no need to match the 2ohm on the speakers with the subwoofer on the other channel.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
On 23/04/2018 at 12:18 PM, DiamondDallas said:

Hmmmm ! I guess My POS will be always with OEM Sound system. I case if you want to know what POS means ask @Barry. Thanks for great advices once I buy my Dream Car I will make sure to read this thread again. Thank you Carnity.

Point Of Sale? For all the mechanics that seem to be charging you for stupid stuff 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Aaqil Sheikh said:

@Frederic do you still have that person contact number from Dubizzle????

I’m not 200% sure but I think it’s the user called ksenia on dubizzle. He sells home and car hifi from Onkyo, Alpine, and other upscale brands. Try once on 052 916 3215 and check if he has stuff available at the moment. He’s located in Tecom. 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use