•  

Open Club  ·  66 members

New Tech

Variable compression engine

Barry

I would imagine so. Over 100 prototypes before they perfected it? I would hazard a guess that a few of the failed ones were the engines shaking so hard the heads came loose. Even so, everything working in harmony like that just gives me a nice satisfied feeling. I'd love to do a tear down and rebuild on one.

• Like (+1) 3

It should be an interesting job but somehow I don't think some, or even all of the moving parts will be available to the repair trade anytime soon. Besides, I don't think there are engineering shops anywhere in the world that are equipped to do the machining- there is some weird stuff in this engine that I think would require balancing to a degree we are not used to seeing even in high tech racing engines.  

• Like (+1) 1

Wonderful piece of engineering. However a lot of moving parts. But it would be interesting to see how it fairs with high mileage. Also a rebuild has to be expensive in materials and labour. Time will tell gentlemen.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

Wonderful piece of engineering. However a lot of moving parts. But it would be interesting to see how it fairs with high mileage. Also a rebuild has to be expensive in materials and labour. Time will tell gentlemen.

I was going to mention the reliability issues, but it was way past my bedtime when I last commented on this. I do agree though- only time will tell how long these beauties will last under real-world driving conditions.   

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think the longevity will be much different from the current piston/rod/crank engines as it will all be running on the same type of shells, albeit more of them. 

The real killer will be lack of oil changes but you could apply that to any engine. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Barry said:

I don’t think the longevity will be much different from the current piston/rod/crank engines as it will all be running on the same type of shells, albeit more of them. 

The real killer will be lack of oil changes but you could apply that to any engine. 

Somehow I can't see this engine running on bearing shells. This is definitely a roller bearing repository...

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use