Rahimdad

First experience as a Newbie - Feedback

What did you enjoy about the drive?

The perfect organization and clear communication, and the proper briefing which is essential for every newbie. And of course the adrenaline of tackling the dunes !

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat?

The track had a very good combination of an easy start to find the harmony in the convoy, followed by a few more trickier areas where i found out that getting stuck is perfectly normal and there is almost always a way out. The best advice was indeed getting out of the car, having a talk or smoke while assessing the situation at hand, and only then decide which technique to use to get out of your tricky situation. I've used that technique already and again it proved to be essential to remain calm and composed.

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way?

The briefing was very well documented and all basic topics were discussed. For newbies a proper briefing is definitely mandatory to avoid the possible dangers around the corner.

Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

I had the impression that some newbies struggled a bit with the 4WD settings on their car. Modern cars have many electronics and switching off the traction and electronic aid controls is indeed necessary for desert driving. A small separate workshop for 4WD and the different diff-lock settings, crawl modes, and the blip technique might be a good optional side-training.

Do you think prior reading material would help?

In my opinion every one that wants to become a part of an offroad community should master the theory, understand his car and its various settings, and read as much as possible as there is so much info available on the net. This gives at least some foundation and will definitely bring newbies faster up to fewbie level.

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for?

Yes, the forum is well arranged and the search function can be used at all times.

Is there anything you think could be done in a better way?

The team was very supportive, friendly, and approachable. In a place like Dubai where a lot seems to be about the material side of things, i was relieved to find a group of friends that prefer values like friendship and respect over anything. Many clubs in the UAE can learn from this !

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers? How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided?

The absolute beginner drive was definitely well organised. I will do my utmost best to join more drives in the near future and it might be interesting to have something like a "beginner family introduction day" where family could join in and see what this fantastic group is all about :) This could be like a half day with some easy dunes, followed by a camel farm visit and BBQ / snacks. 

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens
  • Like 6

@Frederic Nuyttens thank you so much for your positive comments, suggestions. Definitely you have got some very useful advice and we will try to implement some of it in the coming weeks.

• Like 4

How  much did you enjoy your first drive?

It was very goo and enjoyable day which got better and better as I reminisced and told my friends about the day.

What did you enjoy about the drive? 

good intro to the desert and Very easy to some challenging( at least to me) bits in the drive.

Which part of the drive you think you enjoyed the best which you would like to repeat? 

I enjoyed the whole experience.

i would like to repeat the challenging bits and get the experience how to get out by myself using all the techniques from the brief and during the drive

Do you think there was a good mix of lecture and practical, was the lecture too long, and any part that can be avoided or done in a shorter or different way? Do you think anything else could be added to the lecture?

The lecture was great and I cannot see anyway of making it shorter as all the info given were necessary for newbies

Do you think prior reading material would help?

Rahimbhai did send links to safe driving, safety kit, and how to get out of sticky stuff etc.

i read all this after my first drive.

i am sure it helps to have some info prior.

Would you know where on the Carnity forum you would be able to find the information you are looking for?

I usually use the search button to get what info I need.

it is reasonably easy to navigate in the site.

Is there anything you think could be done in a better way?

Everything done was good

How do you suggest to make things better for the new comers?

My suggestion might be for newbies is to give a live practical demo of getting stuck in the sand and how to get out and what happens when you over Rev and how gently feather the throttle to rock and blip blip etc to get out.

i did not realise being inside the car how much over revving I was doing and spinning the tyres and sinking deeper into the sand.

How do you think you can progress within the current atmosphere and learning opportunities provided? 

To join for further drives with the group and hopefully one day grasp what was taught on the briefing and drive

• Like 4

Great suggestion @srini62 will definitely incorporate practical training in the upcoming newbie drives to help newbies understand the concepts in a better way.

• Like 3

• Similar Content

• By Rahimdad
      The last drive was an amazing one but full of challenges, and with Gaurav Bhai's incident, I would be more comfortable with an area we have done a few time to be sure we face a little inconvenience as possible. The plan would be to start easy and slowly work on the toughness bit to make sure the learning curve does not stop.
      When: 14 June 2018
      Meeting time: 11 PM, convoy will move sharp at 11:15 PM
      Where: Adnoc Petrol Station Maleha Road
      GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/mzb26kxzte72
      Level of drive: Absolute Newbie - Newbie - Fewbie - Expert - Advance - All are welcome
      Type of Car: Besides the Rav4 Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
      Plan: Night drive from Mahafiz to Faya, Suhoor on top of Faya.
      What to bring along: Evening snacks, food for Suhoor, plenty of water - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
      Approximate finish time: 5:30 am
      RSVP the below calendar:
    • By Rahimdad
      The last drive was an amazing one but full of challenges, and with Gaurav Bhai's incident, I would be more comfortable with an area we have done a few time to be sure we face a little inconvenience as possible. The plan would be to start easy and slowly work on the toughness bit to make sure the learning curve does not stop.
      When: 14 June 2018
      Meeting time: 11 PM, convoy will move sharp at 11:15 PM
      Level of drive: Absolute Newbie - Newbie - Fewbie - Expert - Advance - All are welcome
      Type of Car: Besides the Rav4 Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
      Plan: Night drive from Mahafiz to Faya, Suhoor on top of Faya.
      What to bring along: Evening snacks, food for Suhoor, plenty of water - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
      Approximate finish time: 5:30 am
      RSVP the below calendar:
    • By Rahimdad
      It's time to have a relaxed newbie to feeble drive in our much-loved sandbox - Maliha - Fossil rock. Looking forward to an easy relaxing drive for everyone with plenty of opportunities to learn and grow, hill climb, and ridge riding. Newbies and Fewbies will have great chance to see and learn the real fun that off-roading offers in a very safe and organized environment. Level May be changed upon convoy level.
      When: 30 March 2018
      Meeting time: 0630 am, convoy will move about 7 am
      Level of drive: Newbie - Fewbie - All are welcome
      Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance.
      Plan: Drive, train and enjoy till about 11 am
      What to bring along: Loads of snacks, plenty of water - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
      Approximate finish time: 11 am
      Please RSVP on below calendar

• By Rahimdad
      It's time to have a relaxed newbie to feeble drive in our much-loved sandbox - Maliha - Fossil rock. Looking forward to an easy relaxing drive for everyone with plenty of opportunities to learn and grow, hill climb, and ridge riding. Newbies and Fewbies will have great chance to see and learn the real fun that off-roading offers in a very safe and organized environment. Level May be changed upon convoy level.
      When: 30 March 2018
      Meeting time: 0630 am, convoy will move about 7 am
      Level of drive: Newbie - Fewbie - All are welcome
      Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance.
      Plan: Drive, train and enjoy till about 11 am
      What to bring along: Loads of snacks, plenty of water - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
      Approximate finish time: 11 am
    • By Rahimdad
      It’s time to have an absolute newbie easy and relaxing drive again. The idea is to make newbie comfortable with sand off-roading and in some of the most approachable set of dunes in Tawi Nizwa side.
      All experienced members are requested to join in helping newbies by imparting their sand expertise.
      When: 23 Feb 2018
      Meeting time: 6:30 AM, convoy will move sharp at 6:45 AM
      Where: Tawi Nizwa shops
      GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/KKBUhkQ2y382
      Level of drive: All are welcome
      Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
      Plan: Easy drive from Tawi Nazwa to Pink rock and relax with snacks, bbq, drinks and chat.
      What to bring along: Loads of snacks - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
      Approximate finish time: 11 AM

Please RSVP the below calendar