hAwX

tick-tick noise from engine bay - 06' mercedes

car info: 2006 w211 E350 japan spec with 77k km 
radiator tank had a leak and have splashed small amount of water into the engine bay.. tank got emptied in a week and got check coolant level error message... changed the tank! in a week i got the error message again but this time it was half there cuz only the cap was bad (because it was used)... replaced it with the org

problem: I noticed a small tick tick noise when the car was running 2 days ago i didn't really cared. Today all of a sudden it is really audible and no need to mention, its irritating and annoying along with the sbc humming...
the sound cant be heard when making right turns, decelerating or braking to take exits from the highway, and on highways with speed above 90kmph. the speed of the tick-tick sound increases with the car's speed. heres the video  at idle and running at city traffic.

what is the cause and possible fix!?  it sounds expensive to me...

Check the engine oil level, if its too low oil is not lubricating the top of the head where usually lifters are and those lifters when run dry make ticking noise.

This is my educated guess, without knowing if Merc has lifters or not but checking engine oil level will help other professionals to advise accordingly.

oil was changed about 2k kms ago and i choose the 10k km change

oil level is fine when i checked 2 weeks ago before the problem... anyway i will check it today once again... when oil level is bad, it shows a warning 'Add 1 litre oil during next refuel' and this message comes only after 5-6 months...

Just now, desertdude said:

Could be a exhaust manifold leak too. Hard to tell 

this one... sounds expensive..... damn it even i thought of it

3 minutes ago, hAwX said:

oil was changed about 2k kms ago and i choose the 10k km change

oil level is fine when i checked 2 weeks ago before the problem... anyway i will check it today once again... when oil level is bad, it shows a warning 'Add 1 litre oil during next refuel' and this message comes only after 5-6 months...

Is it turbo car? As adding oil after few kms is normal in a turbo but not in NA engine, that means there is some oil is leaking

23 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Could be a exhaust manifold leak too. Hard to tell 

Exhaust leaks sound more like a whistle or phish phish noise or doof doof noise, than this sharp metal ticking noise.

42 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Exhaust leaks sound more like a whistle or phish phish noise or doof doof noise, than this sharp metal ticking noise.

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds exactly like a lifter tick. Ask me how I know.

7 minutes ago, desertdude said:

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds exactly like a lifter tick. Ask me how I know.

sure tell me how dude?

Does sound like a manifold leak but as said earlier, hard to tell 100% from video. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jeh
      Hi Guys,

I am planning to to go Hatta Lake for Kayaking Friday 09.03.18  morning. The venue opens at 8am and its 60Dhs per head for unlimited time. 
      I am attaching the route going to the lake. However i plan to take the Route B which crosses a wadi and just drive through it. 
      I have taken the route before through that wadi but half way only. This time i am planning to cross it and connect on the main road going to Hatta lake. 
      If any one is interested can join. Meeting point is the only ENOC station on the E611 at 6am. 
      https://goo.gl/maps/LNCq796fte92

Those interested please sign up on the below callendar link.

• By sertac
      Warning: Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines. Failure to obey the letter or spirit of the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by toyotas, Nissans, and Hyundais. 

As i see Jeep wave is not popular in UAE. If i am seeing any other Jeep specially another Cherokee XJ i am giving wave or honk to say hi. Seems like most of people dont know the rules. I can understand if a brand new Grand Cherokee owner may not know about the rules(because for most of them this is just a SUV) but i think Wrangler and Cherokee XJ owners should know. For explaining the rules i want to write something. 

For the wave one of the important thing is hierarchy. You should know what is the point of your Jeep. Lower point will wave first the higher point Jeep. For this one;
      Model year of your Jeep Is your Jeep stock daily or Off Road monster Is your Jeep classic or nostalgic model These are effecting your point. For calculating your point please find the link below;
      Jeep Wave Calculator

For better explanation please watch the video below. 
      Jeep Wave

• By hAwX
      I would like to know the pricing to get my resonators chopped off and replace it with an x-pipe...
      Also about the regulations, if any! I have seen cops pulling over ricers and asking them to floor it and next thing you know is that the car is getting impounded. I don't want to get in any troubles nor want attention by putting on a super loud exhaust but just want to bring out the rumble a bit on acceleration.

anyone with previous experiences or knows such shops that have readymade or fabricate one?
    • By hAwX
      So anybody knows any place to get such lenses and glue from?
      FYI I know buying a new headlight is a lot easier but then again for my specific model it's 1000+ for a piece OEM and about 800 aftermarket.. about 400-600 for a standard one but I'm having the bi-xenon + the labor. Just put in here cuz last time when I asked about the windshield, that was the popular answer. The point is... If it's not necessary, then why waste the hard earned money be it a couple of 100bucks!?
      A lot of people don't know that just changing out the lens is all they need and according to what I know, it can be done for most of the cars out there!?

In most of these kinda car videos, people buy stuff from Chinese websites like alibaba/aliexpress.... I have had bad experiences with it but got a refund although lost some money due to exchange rates and I think it was because I didn't give any P.O.Box number mainly because I don't have 1. Have anybody else bought stuff from aliexpress? It's an awesome place where we get almost anything for dirt cheap price. My elder brother whose in India buys from the site frequently. The only problem he faces is the international shipping time period.

There are people who buy stuff in bulk quantity from alie and sell it on Shopify for triple the price.
      Back to the thread lol. I would also like to know if any of you have swapped out headlights with a new one and how much you paid for it.