hAwX

tick-tick noise from engine bay - 06' mercedes

car info: 2006 w211 E350 japan spec with 77k km 
radiator tank had a leak and have splashed small amount of water into the engine bay.. tank got emptied in a week and got check coolant level error message... changed the tank! in a week i got the error message again but this time it was half there cuz only the cap was bad (because it was used)... replaced it with the org

problem: I noticed a small tick tick noise when the car was running 2 days ago i didn't really cared. Today all of a sudden it is really audible and no need to mention, its irritating and annoying along with the sbc humming...
the sound cant be heard when making right turns, decelerating or braking to take exits from the highway, and on highways with speed above 90kmph. the speed of the tick-tick sound increases with the car's speed. heres the video  at idle and running at city traffic.

what is the cause and possible fix!?  it sounds expensive to me...

Check the engine oil level, if its too low oil is not lubricating the top of the head where usually lifters are and those lifters when run dry make ticking noise.

This is my educated guess, without knowing if Merc has lifters or not but checking engine oil level will help other professionals to advise accordingly.

oil was changed about 2k kms ago and i choose the 10k km change

oil level is fine when i checked 2 weeks ago before the problem... anyway i will check it today once again... when oil level is bad, it shows a warning 'Add 1 litre oil during next refuel' and this message comes only after 5-6 months...

Just now, desertdude said:

Could be a exhaust manifold leak too. Hard to tell 

this one... sounds expensive..... damn it even i thought of it

3 minutes ago, hAwX said:

oil was changed about 2k kms ago and i choose the 10k km change

oil level is fine when i checked 2 weeks ago before the problem... anyway i will check it today once again... when oil level is bad, it shows a warning 'Add 1 litre oil during next refuel' and this message comes only after 5-6 months...

Is it turbo car? As adding oil after few kms is normal in a turbo but not in NA engine, that means there is some oil is leaking

23 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Could be a exhaust manifold leak too. Hard to tell 

Exhaust leaks sound more like a whistle or phish phish noise or doof doof noise, than this sharp metal ticking noise.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Exhaust leaks sound more like a whistle or phish phish noise or doof doof noise, than this sharp metal ticking noise.

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds exactly like a lifter tick. Ask me how I know.

7 minutes ago, desertdude said:

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds exactly like a lifter tick. Ask me how I know.

sure tell me how dude?

Does sound like a manifold leak but as said earlier, hard to tell 100% from video. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Car News
      The number of accidents on the roads of Ras Al Khaimah has significantly been reduced, thanks to the installation of the new and advanced radar systems. From May to July 2017, approximately 2,285 road accidents were recorded in Ras Al Khaimah while the recent observation from May to July this year, revealed that this number has been reduced to 1,750 accidents which is 23.4 percent less compared to last year.
      Brigadier Dr. Mohammed Saeed Al Humaidi, director of the central operations of RAK Police stated that this reduction in the number of accidents is due to the new radar systems. He further mentioned that additional traffic patrols have been positioned on key places including Qussaidat, Nakheel, Corniche Al Qawasim, Old Ras Al Khaimah, Mohammed bin Salem, and the roads near the Airport.
      He also pointed out that with the installation of these radar system and high technology cameras, the number of traffic violations has reduced as well.
      The amount of road causalities has dropped too following the new amendments to the traffic rules and regulations.
      Although the new rules seem to be tough for some, they definitely ensure the well-being and safety of every driver. Share your thoughts with us on this new development and tell us how beneficial it is for the residents of UAE.
    • By Car News
      The Smart Car Rental service launched in Dubai in October 2017 initially consisted of 200 vehicles. However, 200 more vehicles have recently been added to the fleet following the increasing demand and the popularity of the service.
      The Smart Car Rental service allows users with the ‘eKar’ and ‘U Drive’ app to rent a car for up to six hours. The best part about the process is that no human intervention is involved and the users can get their vehicle refueled for free at Eppco and Adnoc service stations. Moreover, users can also avail free parking at designated RTA parking areas. The cost for rental is 50 fils per minute but if the car is returned to its starting point, it costs 40 fils per minute.
      The Smart Car Rental service is available at 45 different locations in Dubai including Rashidiya, Union, Burjman, Business Bay and Ibn Battuta Metro stations.
      To avail the service, the user is required to register on two smart apps and must have their Emirates ID, driving license, credit card, and a personal photograph. Visitors are asked to input the details of their passport, entry visa, driving license and credit card details.
      Share your experience with us if you have also used the Smart Car Rental service and let us know if you would recommend it to others as well.
    • By Car News
      The Lotus Cars return to Dubai with a brand-new 5,000 square foot showroom located on the Sheikh Zayed Road and just a few minutes drive away from the McLaren Showroom. Lotus previously had a showroom in Dubai Festival City which was opened in collaboration with Al-Futtaim group back in 2013 but unfortunately, it was closed now.
      This time, the automaker teamed up with Adamas Motors to open the new showroom in Dubai and it is the only Lotus showroom in the UAE. The establishment can accommodate and display up to 10 cars at a time. Moreover, it includes a configuration room where buyers can modify their car by selecting the different trim option as well as a customer lounge for important meetings.
      Adamas has also opened a car service facility nearby with the aim of offering excellent after-sales service and encourage clients to see how their vehicle will be serviced by trained professionals.
      Considering the fact that the some of the rare Lotus vehicles such as the Exige Cup 430 Type 25 and the 3-Eleven 430 are now present in the GCC region, the Middle East seems to be an important market for Lotus Cars to enter.
      Are you a Lotus fan as well? Do share with us your opinion about how the entry of Lotus in the Middle East market will affect other automakers.

• By Car News
      UAE is planning a new road project called ‘Maliha-Khor Fakkan’ which is expected to complete in the second quarter of 2019 and will significantly reduce the trip time when traveling both inner cities and going out of the city.
      The Maliha-Khor Fakkan project is a 5.5-kilometer-long road which will link the Sheikh Khalifa Road E84 with Dibba-Khor Fakkan-Kalba E99 road as well as the Sharjah-Maliha E102 road. The project is worth Dh150 million and includes four lanes, two in each direction along with a 360-meter tunnel as well. With the completion of this project, the traveling time is expected to reduce by more than 40 percent.
      We believe this is an excellent step to improve the traffic condition of the country and would like to hear your opinion as well.

• By Car News
      Road accidents are increasing every day in Dubai and this leads to traffic congestion in the whole city. To tackle this problem, RTA and the Dubai Police have collaborated to introduce a new Traffic Incidents Management (TIM) system.
      The Traffic Incident Management system was launched officially on 16th September 2018 and was inaugurated by key figures of both Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) and Dubai Police. Special breakdown vehicles were also seen to be deployed at different locations on the Mohammad Bin Zayed Road. 
      Special breakdown response vehicles will be positioned every 30 kilometers on the national expressway road which is approximately 70 kilometers long and connects Dubai with Abu Dhabi as well as Sharjah. These vehicles will be well equipped with latest technologies and communication devices to clear up the accident site quickly and assist the drivers to a safe place. 
      The TIM system is expected to reduce traffic delays by up to 35 percent by removing the vehicles involved in an accident and restoring the traffic flow ASAP.
      This effort by RTA and Dubai Police deserves an applaud as it will definitely improve the traffic situation in the city and ensure the safety of every driver. Do share your opinion about this new initiative and tell us how beneficial it will be for UAE drivers.