•  
Advertise here

tick-tick noise from engine bay - 06' mercedes

hAwX

car info: 2006 w211 E350 japan spec with 77k km 
radiator tank had a leak and have splashed small amount of water into the engine bay.. tank got emptied in a week and got check coolant level error message... changed the tank! in a week i got the error message again but this time it was half there cuz only the cap was bad (because it was used)... replaced it with the org

problem: I noticed a small tick tick noise when the car was running 2 days ago i didn't really cared. Today all of a sudden it is really audible and no need to mention, its irritating and annoying along with the sbc humming...
the sound cant be heard when making right turns, decelerating or braking to take exits from the highway, and on highways with speed above 90kmph. the speed of the tick-tick sound increases with the car's speed. heres the video  at idle and running at city traffic.

what is the cause and possible fix!?  it sounds expensive to me...

Check the engine oil level, if its too low oil is not lubricating the top of the head where usually lifters are and those lifters when run dry make ticking noise.

This is my educated guess, without knowing if Merc has lifters or not but checking engine oil level will help other professionals to advise accordingly.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

oil was changed about 2k kms ago and i choose the 10k km change

oil level is fine when i checked 2 weeks ago before the problem... anyway i will check it today once again... when oil level is bad, it shows a warning 'Add 1 litre oil during next refuel' and this message comes only after 5-6 months...

3 minutes ago, hAwX said:

oil was changed about 2k kms ago and i choose the 10k km change

oil level is fine when i checked 2 weeks ago before the problem... anyway i will check it today once again... when oil level is bad, it shows a warning 'Add 1 litre oil during next refuel' and this message comes only after 5-6 months...

Is it turbo car? As adding oil after few kms is normal in a turbo but not in NA engine, that means there is some oil is leaking

23 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Could be a exhaust manifold leak too. Hard to tell 

Exhaust leaks sound more like a whistle or phish phish noise or doof doof noise, than this sharp metal ticking noise.

• Confused (0) 1

42 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Exhaust leaks sound more like a whistle or phish phish noise or doof doof noise, than this sharp metal ticking noise.

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds exactly like a lifter tick. Ask me how I know.

7 minutes ago, desertdude said:

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds exactly like a lifter tick. Ask me how I know.

sure tell me how dude?