•  
Advertise here

tick-tick noise from engine bay - 06' mercedes

hAwX

Now..  how to know if that's exactly the problem!? 

The sound is alot quiter now and not that noticable inside the cabin but surely from the out...

Yes this is a sharp ticking noise....

The sound is increasing with acceleration seems its coming from inside the engine...change the oil and examine the old oil for metal shavings maybe you will find the an answer...

i had a look at the oil level and its above minimum.... i dont think its supposed to be that low just after 2k km... i have 1L in-hand will add that tomoro and see..

so you changed the oil already...did you inspect the old oil at the time..? (i was not asking the about the oil level)

Edited by shadow79
more info

it was normal nothing suspicious...

it was the 2nd time.. they lifted and drained from downside..

1st time there was some machine action i guess.. without the lift

20 hours ago, desertdude said:

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds exactly like a lifter tick. Ask me how I know.

I agree that a leaking exhaust manifold gasket can sound like noise tappets.

However, one other possible cause in this case is a noisy serpentine belt. In this case, water/coolant had splashed on the belt, which likely washed off the  residue (in some spots) that lubricates the belt. I have heard serpentine belts make all sorts of noises, so I'll try an application of an approved belt dressing on the belt to see if the sound goes away. 

1 hour ago, treks said:

I agree that a leaking exhaust manifold gasket can sound like noise tappets.

However, one other possible cause in this case is a noisy serpentine belt. In this case, water/coolant had splashed on the belt, which likely washed off the  residue (in some spots) that lubricates the belt. I have heard serpentine belts make all sorts of noises, so I'll try an application of an approved belt dressing on the belt to see if the sound goes away. 

Good luck with that. Go to 99% of mechanics or parts shops and ask for a bottle of belt dressing and they will look at you with a empty stare of a zombie that has been dead for a 1000yrs. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

Don't shoot me guys for saying this as I don't know whether WD40 is an approved belt dressing or not.

I have tried WD40 to identify which one out of 3 belts is squeaking in my Pajero multiple times. It just that it creates a dalmatian spots mess in the engine bay, so now I put a big towel around and secure it properly before I spray WD40.

TBH it seems this noise is because engine oil is low or what Saleem pointed that there may be some metal shaving, and some internal engine component is not happy.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@desertdude makes a very good point. 99% of parts shops in uae have no clue. The parts guys aren’t interested in cars. They just punch chassis numbers into their system to get their 2000 dhs per month salary and they don’t care beyond that. 

I remember rebuilding a supercharger on a MINI a few months ago. MINI dealer said the parts weren’t available from any source. It was a standard Eaton supercharger and I ended up ordering the parts from europe no problem.

Then I needed the oil to fill it. Everyone was like, what’s a supercharger, no oil is not available you have to buy a new supercharger. I went and looked up the GM part number. Simple thing, available all over the world but even the GM dealers said either no such thing or not available. I ended up ordering it from America with no problems. 

Parts shops here suck. They just want to sell fast moving parts from corollas, Kali wali anyone who drives something different. Fast cash is all they care about.

There is a big gap in the market for a garage who is actually into cars and actually wants to source parts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1