•  
Advertise here

Soundproofing issue on Pajero

I bought 2nd hand Pajero 2014 3.5 LWB; compare to my previous car I feel that the soundproofing (acoustic) of this car is not good, when driving car above 80 kph I can hear the noise wind sound on my driving window, also the noise from the bottom of car etc (although i just got the new Tyre).

Can anyone help or inform any garage that can help solving this soundproofing issue here in Dubai / Sharjah?

Not sure whether I should replace all the windows rubber and add the soundproofing mats to help reduce the noise from outside of the car.

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Fajr said:

I have nissan Armada before, and the soundproof is really good

This might be a reason. Armada is bigger and luxurious than Pajero. Most probably Armada having better insulation. Generally Japan cars dont have good insulation and they are famous with tire sound. 

4 minutes ago, sertac said:

This might be a reason. Armada is bigger and luxurious than Pajero. Most probably Armada having better insulation. Generally Japan cars dont have good insulation and they are famous with tire sound. 

yes probably, I am trying to contact Ziebart here in UAE, let's see what they response will be and what it will cost me

Serteac hit the nail on the head, even the Armada technically being a "Japanese" car was made in the USA for the USA full size SUV segment, to go against the likes of the Tahoe and Frord Explorers and Expeditions.

Japanese really dont bother with such stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe not, but they are really good at building leak proof engines

• Haha (+1) 1

As said, they really are 2 different beasts. 

If you really want proper sound deadening, it’s going to involve a lot of work. Whole interior needs to be stripped out. Door cards, seats, carpets, maybe even dashboard. Then it will all have to be covered in Dynamat or similar product. Then the interior has to go back in. You’re talking a weeks work. And it will add extra weight to the car. 

This will go some way to deadening road noise but the issue of wind noise will still be there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

If it's really a specific area wind noise bothering you then debug that area first as many times your mind doesn't read the exact source of the problem. My car recently involved in an accident where the garage has to change the door, after getting my car I was complaining about wind noise from that door. After 6-7 attempts, we figured out that half sliding window behind the driver was not locking properly due to debris and once clean and locked the window in its latch sound gone.

Secondly, Pajero has a hole in passenger footwell that opens in the engine bay (firewall) and I have been sick of hearing my engine roaring and humming inside the cabin. I bought 10 GBP sound insulation sheet and just placed 1 on top of that hole and sound reduce by 75%. I still have 1 sheet to spare if you like to experiment PM me.

Thirdly to actually debug the correct source of wind or engine noise, ask someone else to drive and then you follow the sound while on the passenger seat or back seat to actually trace the correct issue, while on the driving seat you will keep guessing and getting frustrated.

Fourth, some tires DO MAKE LOT OF NOISE, google your tire decibel level rating to find out if its coming due to those.

General noise type for you to figure out:

• Tires - constant humming and then deafening at high speed
  • Wind noise - sharp whistling or gushing, link to speed
  • Engine noise - roaring, but linked to engine rpm than the speed
  • Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 hours ago, Barry said:

As said, they really are 2 different beasts. 

If you really want proper sound deadening, it’s going to involve a lot of work. Whole interior needs to be stripped out. Door cards, seats, carpets, maybe even dashboard. Then it will all have to be covered in Dynamat or similar product. Then the interior has to go back in. You’re talking a weeks work. And it will add extra weight to the car. 

This will go some way to deadening road noise but the issue of wind noise will still be there. 

you're right Barry, that option by putting Dynamat all over the place will add vehicle weight and consume a lot of time and cost escpecially the manhour.
Last option for me.