•  
Advertise here

Soundproofing issue on Pajero

17 hours ago, Gaurav said:

If it's really a specific area wind noise bothering you then debug that area first as many times your mind doesn't read the exact source of the problem. My car recently involved in an accident where the garage has to change the door, after getting my car I was complaining about wind noise from that door. After 6-7 attempts, we figured out that half sliding window behind the driver was not locking properly due to debris and once clean and locked the window in its latch sound gone.

Secondly, Pajero has a hole in passenger footwell that opens in the engine bay (firewall) and I have been sick of hearing my engine roaring and humming inside the cabin. I bought 10 GBP sound insulation sheet and just placed 1 on top of that hole and sound reduce by 75%. I still have 1 sheet to spare if you like to experiment PM me.

Thirdly to actually debug the correct source of wind or engine noise, ask someone else to drive and then you follow the sound while on the passenger seat or back seat to actually trace the correct issue, while on the driving seat you will keep guessing and getting frustrated.

Fourth, some tires DO MAKE LOT OF NOISE, google your tire decibel level rating to find out if its coming due to those.

General noise type for you to figure out:

• Tires - constant humming and then deafening at high speed
  • Wind noise - sharp whistling or gushing, link to speed
  • Engine noise - roaring, but linked to engine rpm than the speed

thanks Gaurav for the thorough explanation, and I need to know where is the position or location of "hole in passenger footwell that opens in the engine bay (firewall)"

I hear loud noise from the floor of the passenger side, or maybe from the top of the rear wheel position under the passenger seat.

I will PM you for more detail.

• 2 months later...

I have got mine from London when I was there, similar to below link. It's a heat insulation and soundproofing flexible sheet with a sticker so that you can install yourself anywhere you like. I have ordered this for covering my air filter box and neck and left with two spare sheets. So one used it for firewall hole and it did reduce the noise.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Fibre-Car-Engine-Bay-Bonnet-Insulation-Noise-Hood-Sound-Proofing-Heat-8Pcs-/253494258749

If you are interested, I have one spare sheet that you can take it and try it first if it helps. In my Pajero, I just placed it under the mat to cover firewall hole without sticking and it reduced the substantial amount of noise especially at high RPM.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 9:01 PM, Gaurav said:

If it's really a specific area wind noise bothering you then debug that area first as many times your mind doesn't read the exact source of the problem. My car recently involved in an accident where the garage has to change the door, after getting my car I was complaining about wind noise from that door. After 6-7 attempts, we figured out that half sliding window behind the driver was not locking properly due to debris and once clean and locked the window in its latch sound gone.

Secondly, Pajero has a hole in passenger footwell that opens in the engine bay (firewall) and I have been sick of hearing my engine roaring and humming inside the cabin. I bought 10 GBP sound insulation sheet and just placed 1 on top of that hole and sound reduce by 75%. I still have 1 sheet to spare if you like to experiment PM me.

Thirdly to actually debug the correct source of wind or engine noise, ask someone else to drive and then you follow the sound while on the passenger seat or back seat to actually trace the correct issue, while on the driving seat you will keep guessing and getting frustrated.

Fourth, some tires DO MAKE LOT OF NOISE, google your tire decibel level rating to find out if its coming due to those.

General noise type for you to figure out:

• Tires - constant humming and then deafening at high speed
  • Wind noise - sharp whistling or gushing, link to speed
  • Engine noise - roaring, but linked to engine rpm than the speed

Hello Mate, I have been facing the same damm issue could you help me out on this if possible thanks a stack.

Tesla are working on developing a new app where you point your phone camera around the car and it will map it and pinpoint the noise. Let’s see what happens. Until then it’s just going to take some good old fashioned detective work and a bit of gumption to find where the noise is coming from.