•  
Advertise here

The movie club

Barry

Anyone got any movies they recommend watching?

Just finished watching Crossroads. The 1986 movie, not the Britney Spears abomination. It's a story about a classically trained guitarist who wants to learn the blues and seeks out an old blues player who sold his soul to the devil years ago. Culminates in an epic guitar battle between the karate kid, yes the karate kid, and the one and only Steve Vai. As a guitarist, I enjoyed every minute of it.

I don't like to tie myself to genres. I'm game for watching anything within reason as long as it isn't crap. Movies and series included.

Just finished watching Breaking Bad with the wife. It's the third time I've seen it but her first. After watching something like that, where do you go? I've tried showing her a few series including Better Call Saul but once you've seen Breaking Bad, it's hard to find something that will drag you in and suck your life away in the same way. 

Recently watched Battle Royale 1 and 2. Maybe my 5th or 6h time. Anyone who says the hunger games is original is a liar. Takeshi Katano is a beautiful actor and the story is original. 

17 hours ago, Barry said:

I don't like to tie myself to genres. I'm game for watching anything within reason as long as it isn't crap. Movies and series included.

Just finished watching Breaking Bad with the wife. It's the third time I've seen it but her first. After watching something like that, where do you go? I've tried showing her a few series including Better Call Saul but once you've seen Breaking Bad, it's hard to find something that will drag you in and suck your life away in the same way. 

Recently watched Battle Royale 1 and 2. Maybe my 5th or 6h time. Anyone who says the hunger games is original is a liar. Takeshi Katano is a beautiful actor and the story is original. 

Have you tried these following series? 

• Fringe
  • Person of Interest(highly recommended) 
  • Boardwalk Empire
  • Dexter

Watch The Blacklist with James Spader. Its in its 5th season. You wont be disappointed.

For good old Sitcoms watch According to Jim, Im just finishing watching Everybody Loves Raymond and already have King Of Queens lined up. 

i have seen dexter all four seasons it was really good

lost wich was bit confusing in the beginning

and prison break is something to watch

Edited by shadow79
more info

Thanks guys for plenty of suggestions for my weekend session.

Long ago Jeh recommended me Person of Interest and I have already seen all of them 2-3 times now. Super engaging.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 hours ago, desertdude said:

Watch The Blacklist with James Spader. Its in its 5th season. You wont be disappointed.

For good old Sitcoms watch According to Jim, Im just finishing watching Everybody Loves Raymond and already have King Of Queens lined up. 

I used to watch everybody loves Raymond in the mornings before I went to work back home. There was always a double episode on the tv. Good show  

Ive started watching the good doctor now, the new one, not the original Korean version. It’s about a doctor who is amazing and offends people with his honesty in equal parts. It’s a good watch, provokes the emotions. 

But tbh, my attention span is really short and I find it hard to get into series. 

I watched Coco tonight. It’s an animated movie based around Mexico and the day of the dead and a young musician trying to trace his family tree. I’m not usually into animated stuff but the Wife suggested it and I wasn’t disappointed. 

Also recently rewatched gran Torino. I’m a big Clint Eastwood fan so I may be biased but it was a solid 9.5. Story about a grumpy old vietnam vet who catches a young Hmong kid trying to steal his gran Torino. Instead of shooting him he takes him under his wing and becomes friends with his family and saves them from a whole lot of trouble. 

If you want a funny version of the good doctor, watch Becker, starring Ted Danson of Cheers fame, very underrated series.

I watched Gran Turismo a few years back, pretty decent. Although one of my fav Clint movies is The Rookie with Charlie Sheen and Raul playing the villian. Old cop with a rookie partner, hilarity ensues along with good action thrown in for good measure. 

• 2 months later...

Watched Mississippi burning with the wife last night. I had seen it before but o reckoned it was one of the movies you should watch before you die so I put it on. Wife was horrified then when I told her it was a true story she was even mor horrified. Her main word through the movie were "I hate white people", and I constantly reminded her that I am white and at the end of the movie, white people saved the day. Really good thought provoking movie raising the issues of racism.