•  
Advertise here

Engine Oil Change

sertac

16 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Go with whatever vehicle manufacturer says in term of the specification and get from reputable oil change service station and not just drum dealers - you know what I mean.

Go to Mobil 1 (my first choice) or Castrol service center in Dubai and Sharjah they can change in less than 30 minutes.

https://goo.gl/maps/qy65Fx7BXVt

Hi Gaurav how much you are paying to changing oil in these places? I know total amount depends to how many liter oil and oil type but is there any specific price for labour? 

3 hours ago, sertac said:

Hi Gaurav how much you are paying to changing oil in these places? I know total amount depends to how many liter oil and oil type but is there any specific price for labour? 

Such places only charge for oil and the filter and offer oil change service FOC. HOWEVER due to locality and area oil per liter price changes drastically. In Warqa I pay somewhere 300 AED for 4 liters of Mobil 1 semi-synthetic 10W40 oil and in above Sharjah place in the range of 150-200 AED.

I found that Sharjah Mobil 1 a few years back when I was specifically looking for some special oil for my Pajero differential, something like 80W90 GL5 hypoid bla bla and only Mobil 1 Sharjah has that and they replaced instantly without any drama of leaving the car, come tomorrow, special order bla bla. Since then I'm fan of that place.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Such places only charge for oil and the filter and offer oil change service FOC. HOWEVER due to locality and area oil per liter price changes drastically. In Warqa I pay somewhere 300 AED for 4 liters of Mobil 1 semi-synthetic 10W40 oil and in above Sharjah place in the range of 150-200 AED.

I found that Sharjah Mobil 1 a few years back when I was specifically looking for some special oil for my Pajero differential, something like 80W90 GL5 hypoid bla bla and only Mobil 1 Sharjah has that and they replaced instantly without any drama of leaving the car, come tomorrow, special order bla bla. Since then I'm fan of that place.

Normally going Ajman and change it better option for me. But for only oil change it is too much traffic. Today i got oil filter and asked 2 place for only oil and labour one said 400 other said 350 i was like give me 400 i will happily change your oil :D seems like eiter i will get the tools and change my self or will go to Ajman.

• Haha (+1) 1

It does depend on which oil you are using. Is this semi-synthetic and mobil 1 then only it should cost 300+ other than that it should be a lot lower. Go to place I mentioned above, they are open till 10 PM. There is another one in Karama too, but it will be also tad expensive as Dubai rates are higher than Sharjah.

1 minute ago, sertac said:

For my high milage old tech car i am using 20w50 which shouldnt be more than 120aed. By the way normally it should be 10w30 mineral oil, how logical to use 20w50? 

Please stop listening to people with endless stories and BS logic's and switch to thicker oil.

If the car has leaks, either fix it or keep topping up oil every 15 days than spoiling the whole engine with wrong grade of oil.

STICK TO WHAT CAR MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS. PERIOD.

BTW, my Pajero is also old tech and high mileage - 1999 Model with 204k Kms - runs only on 10W40 Mobil 1.

I do have very minute leak in bell housing, that Im waiting to increase as it involve bit of work and keeps topping the engine oil every month or two by 200-300 ml after every 2000 kms.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Confused (0) 1

6 hours ago, Barry said:

I’m going to ask a silly question. Why don’t you buy some oil and a filter and do it yourself? It’s one of the simplest jobs you can do. 10-15 minutes and you’re good to go. 

Although I love working on my rides, oil changes is something even I don't bother with. For the price of just oil and filter, someone does it for you while you keep an eye on everything, a win win situation, not having to splatter used dirty oil all over yourself and then worry about storing and disposing said oil. 

Also regarding oil grades, sometimes thicker oil is better in older high mileage engines, no matter how well you take care of your engines there is going to be wear and tear on engines and tolerances which were tight are not so tight anymore.Sometimes even oil pressure will start to drop, not to the extent of giving off a warning light but less than when it was new, the internal wear and there are gaps increase and its loses its ability to pump like new. Piston rings with get scrapped and the gap between the bore and rings with increase leading to more blow by 

So thicker oil has its uses specially in this hot climate, a high mileage motor sitting in hour long jams in the middle of 50C summer heat, you can imagine what must be going on inside. Nothing kills thins out and kills oil faster than heat  And look inside your owners manual, a lot of them don't recommend just one type of oil, in dusty hotter climates or season up to 50w is recommend and so is the oil intervals decreased. 

So an oil with a high shear index, ability to lay down and maintain a thicker film on moving components is not the spawn of satan as some of in this thread are making it out to be.  

Here is a page from Pajeros owner manual, clearly says to use Xw-50 engine oil in ambient temperatures over 40C. For climates like Europe and North America when even the hottest summers rarely touch or cross 30 for a day or two 30w oil is well enough. So sorry Gaurav you have been using the wrong rated oil in your Pajero all this time and probably your other cars too if you have any. Specially as I see you like to take it off road. In the winter time here with most on road driving 40 should be alright. But a no no, specially in older and probably with some mileage on it. 

Hey don't argue with me, thats what Mitsubishi says and it seems over here, Manufacturers word is gospel! :D

paj.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Barry said:

I’m going to ask a silly question. Why don’t you buy some oil and a filter and do it yourself? It’s one of the simplest jobs you can do. 10-15 minutes and you’re good to go. 

Most probably i will do it myself. I know how to do it but i just need to get some tools. Today i may go to ACE to get something. For removing oil filter should i get the belt(the one for oil filter) or the belt i am using for my pant is enough to remove it(i think it should be enough logically same thing) :D 

• Haha (+1) 1