•  
Advertise here

Engine Oil Change

sertac

8 hours ago, Mighty Mike said:

So sorry Gaurav you have been using the wrong rated oil in your Pajero all this time and probably your other cars too if you have any. 

So you seem to be Pajero expert too and all my other cars expert too without knowing which all cars I currently have and where do I maintain them.....? 

Just to improve your knowledge, Pajero has many different variants of engines and all those engines run on different viscosity and type of engine oil. One day you might backtrace that which one uses 10W40, go and start google now. lol.

• Confused (0) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I used to change the oil in my patrol myself, then I found Fineway garage in Al Quoz. There price was the same as doing it myself, but less the mess on my driveway and hastle of disposing oil. 

I always ask for full Synthetic, 5W-40 and original filter. Total cost last time was AED170.00. They also top up all the other fluids, and clean the air filter. 

Finway garage is in Al Quoz near Trinity Engineering, the oil brands they use are Eppco, Enoc, Castrol, varys every time. 

I have used Mobile 1, but read the packaging, and said made in UAE.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks @vanhack we really need good and honest garages in Dubai, and the price you said seems pretty reasonable.

I know what you meant with Mobil 1 made in UAE or Egypt, I do read those labels but still, Mobil 1 is FAR better than ENOC / ADNOC oil in my views. Second, comes the Castrol and Shell are also good. My car behaves much better as I have tried all oil brands and also ENOC / ADNOC oils get dark too soon within 1000 kms that doesn't give you proper reading metrics if oil really needs a change or not, as I always change oil much before it's advised kms.

1 hour ago, vanhack said:

I used to change the oil in my patrol myself, then I found Fineway garage in Al Quoz. There price was the same as doing it myself, but less the mess on my driveway and hastle of disposing oil. 

I always ask for full Synthetic, 5W-40 and original filter. Total cost last time was AED170.00. They also top up all the other fluids, and clean the air filter. 

Finway garage is in Al Quoz near Trinity Engineering, the oil brands they use are Eppco, Enoc, Castrol, varys every time. 

I have used Mobile 1, but read the packaging, and said made in UAE.

5W40 oil for patrol and filter and changing for 170AED really nice price. 

33 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

I have tried all oil brands and also ENOC / ADNOC oils get dark too soon within 1000 kms that doesn't give you proper reading metrics if oil really needs a change or not, as I always change oil much before it's advised kms.

I think thats a myth totally created by grease monkeys in this country, that the longer the oil stays nice and golden the better it is. IMO the reality is different, along with lubrication engine oil also acts as a sponge that soaks up all the byproducts of combustion and other deposits on your engine internals. But only to a certain limit, hence we need to change oil, among other reasons

If a oil is getting dirty/dark fast that means its doing its job and soaking up all the lets say trash in your engine.

If not oil is not getting dark, means either your engine is squeaky clean ( not a chance ) or the oil does not have any or the right amount or type of detergent additives in it. But since other oils do get dark in your engine, means all that "trash" is being left behind in the motor

If I were I you I would change to the oil which is getting "dark" fast and just change it sooner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

So you seem to be Pajero expert too and all my other cars expert too without knowing which all cars I currently have and where do I maintain them.....? 

Just to improve your knowledge, Pajero has many different variants of engines and all those engines run on different viscosity and type of engine oil. One day you might backtrace that which one uses 10W40, go and start google now. lol.

I think the only way you can settle this, is read and share actually what your owner manual says. I know for a fact, I have a similar chart in my Range Rover owners manual and also recommends heavier grade oil in hotter temps and lighter oils in cooler temps.

Maybe you might have been using I would not the wrong but not the recommended by manufacturer oil, hell I learn new things everday myself.

Hell I was totally bored a couple of weeks back so read the owners manual back to back and realized my L322 had hidden cup holders in the rear which I would have never known about if I didnt read the manual! LOL

The center in the rear seats fold down which is pretty obvious and I knew about, but the back of the headrest flips out revealing two cupholders! :D.

Desertdude: Thanks for listing the details and basic anatomy of how engine oil works. 

Will you change 7-10k kms oil every 1000 kms?

1 minute ago, desertdude said:

Maybe you might have been using I would not the wrong but not the recommended by manufacturer oil, hell I learn new things everday myself.

I know what owners manual says and it's 6G72 engine 3.0 with SOHC 12 valves has 10w40 - 20W50 recommendation.

Mine is 6G74 engine 3.5 with DOHC 24 valve - that needs 5W40 - 10W40 "SEMI-SYNTHETIC" engine oil.

24 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Desertdude: Thanks for listing the details and basic anatomy of how engine oil works. 

Will you change 7-10k kms oil every 1000 kms?

I know what owners manual says and it's 6G72 engine 3.0 with SOHC 12 valves has 10w40 - 20W50 recommendation.

Mine is 6G74 engine 3.5 with DOHC 24 valve - that needs 5W40 - 10W40 "SEMI-SYNTHETIC" engine oil.

What I would do is run a couple of cycles of the "getting dark soon" oil and change it every 3000kms, just because a oil is dark or opaque doesn't means it lost its capabilities, and see if it makes any difference,  A slow overtime long term flush if you will. 

Also another old mechanics trick is a 100km or so before you change your oil drop in 300 to 500ml of ATF, since ATF has much stronger detergents and it will give the internals a good wash and in such low quantity it wont effect you other oil properties. But hey do it at your own risk, I'm a known rebel and do stupid things like use diesel oil in flat tappet motors and feed water down the airtake! 

ALSO very important. Semi Sythentic oil is a crock, not because there is anything wrong with the oil but because most companies even well known ones are crooks, what one usually thinks is a semi syn blend is a 50% syn oil blended with 50% regular dino oil. But thats not the case as there is no standard as to whats qualifies as semi-syn oil. There could be as little as 10% syn oil in regular dino oil and that qualifies as semi-synthetic oil unless the % mixture is mentioned, which I don't think anyone does, 

So better to fork out a little extra and go full synthetic rather than have to deal with dubious blends. ( I know I know before anyone gets to it, I know even fully synthetic oil is formulated from a mineral oil base )

• Like (+1) 1

Watch again from 11:45 - 12:26 as a bottom line and close this topic on that note - without being Einstein or a chemistry teacher.

STICK TO WHAT CAR MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS. PERIOD.