•  
Advertise here

How A Torque Converter Works

I'm pretty ok with DIY and if I someone more knowledgeable helping with me, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and do some heavy DIY too on occasion and a generally have a good idea about how most things work in an automobile, but far from an expert by any means.

One thing I could not really wrap my head around was Automatic tranmissions, although have a vague idea about how its all ATF pressure, clutch packs and planetary gears and all. Looked and read a lot of articles and videos, all modern animations and cutaways and all, but one thing always stayed very elusive, the mysterious torque converter, all I gathered from all this it has a lot of blades or vanes inside and ATF swirls around inside etc etc but still my thick head wouldn't grasp it all. Until sometime back that is.

I came across this film made somewhere in the 40s or 50s and its the models used and the way its explained is just brilliant! You can see some time and effort went in making this. Why can't we have more such kind of informative videos today. I bet after watching this even a total layman can understand how a Torque converter work in an automatic transmission. I understand modern torque converter have a torque converter lock up clutch which is not covered in this.

Sit back for 10 minutes and enjoy the show :)

P.S : Thank you Carnity admins for getting rid of that annoying "reset" feature. Glad to see someone is listening.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mighty Mike said:

P.S : Thank you Carnity admins for getting rid of that annoying "reset" feature. Glad to see someone is listening.

Now if only they would sort out that equally annoying "Show notifications" pop-up. Please??

if it was all animations and videos in the automatic transmissions books it would have been easier to absorb and put it in use in today's time but thanks for spreading some love:-D