•  
Advertise here

Toyota won’t use android due to security concerns

Barry

Amazing article Barry, really eye opener as I never knew there was a war going on for in-car entertainment system due to who steal less privacy. Damn big giants.

Just months after Toyota opted to continue with its own propriety in-car infotainment system in 2015, there was a bombshell report from Motor Trend accusing Google of collecting a treasure trove of unnecessary data – especially when compared to Apple. According to the publication, Google collected “Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto…. Apple, by way of stark contrast, only wants to know if the car is moving while Apple Play is in use.”

If they are so innocent then they should design a system to use all info and stats to help the driver in that moment of time and without transferring the data for future learning - as we all know now what future learning means......!

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Good for Toyota, although I'm not a techphobe by any means but I think the latest trend on incar infotainment is getting a bit over the top, which huge screens, with layers and layers of menus and submenus, apps etc etc. And even worse is that the instrument cluster is also starting to get invaded by these with new LCD screens. 

How much information and entertainment does one need! 

1 minute ago, desertdude said:

Good for Toyota, although I'm not a techphobe by any means but I think the latest trend on incar infotainment is getting a bit over the top, which huge screens, with layers and layers of menus and submenus, apps etc etc. And even worse is that the instrument cluster is also starting to get invaded by these with new LCD screens. 

I totally agree on this, as I see 12 inch 15 inch vertical size of iPad screen on the dash and get scared too.

I also agree that cluster control is overriding by gizmos, in my Range although which is 5 years old but whole instrument cluster is nothing by computer graphics including the rpm and speedo needle, looks so childish to me initially as I am used to seeing the physical needing popping up.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.