•  
Advertise here

Automatic Vs Manual Part Duex

ethan

10 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Maybe you can research on this topic and really consider a smarter auto box from another year Cherokee if that auto box is designed with 1 and 2 in the separate selector.

@sertac I had shared some workshop manuals on the forum. Just check up now if that solenoid modification can be done to change '1-2' to only '1'.

I really think it's about the Driver whose driving his experience driving a 4x4 or a saloon Lexus LS430 In a desert. New 4x4 Autos are great. Manual are fun. I had a Manual I know I might be a worst off-roader but it was fun. Auto is shift and accelerate. Manual is Manual. You think for the car not vice versa. End of the day You enjoy your ride and Love your Car. Most important.

If i have proper suspension system(mine is like a stone hard) and proper tire(mine is not for sand, for rock climbing). I dont think auto will be that much problem. Right now i dont care. Most probably i will never change anything on this car. It is stupid idea to keep spending on this car. 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:42 PM, Gaurav said:

Read the whole thread again buddy, to understand what I have been saying since page 1. You probably read it very fast - like always :-)

I'm the only one who has been fighting for the Auto box in the sand, in front of others who have never tried both in sand or at least not tried the right gearbox.

I too learned from the 2006 manual Patrol - disaster gearbox who couldn't even climb big red halfway, let alone the Iftar bowl and Faya.

Hello...comprehension issues!, I'm agreeing with you here! That yes just stick in D and drive.

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

Hello...comprehension issues!, I'm agreeing with you here! That yes just stick in D and drive.

That's what I tell everyone that stick to D and control gearing with your throttle downshift in 90% of the cases, and that let relaxes the gearbox and also keep you free for other adrenal act.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Ok so I thought I carry on this discussion afresh, so this info doesn't get lost in between all those pages. I found this very informative video on this subject, The guy is well known personality in the world of 4x4s and offroading downunder and presents a very good point by point rundown on the subject. 

So to go over, there are some places where manuals are better and vice versa. Although there are a couple of points I don't 100% agree on.

1: Manuals use less gas. In my personal experience I've found autos use less gas. I've had the chance to run two exact similar cars on a long term basis on and off road and found the auto used slightly less gas.

2 Automatics more likely to overheat than manuals - Agreed

3. Manual more wear and tear - Agreed

4  Can't bump start an Auto - Agreed

5. Damaged box situation, Manual wins - Agreed

6. Which is cheaper to repair, manual wins again - agreed

7.Sand Driving . Auto kicks manuals ass -agreed

8 Dune climbs Manual is better. Disagree, but he later also makes the same point about locking gears as we have in the previous thread so I still say its a win for the auto due its long gears, thus not really requiring frequent changes. So IMO auto wins here again

9 Rock crawling : Auto wins : Agreed

10 Mud. Manual wins : Somewhat agree

11 Water wading : Auto wins. Agreed

12.Steep hill climb Auto Wins Agreed

13 Down steep hill Manual wins. Disagreed. I've personally gone some very steep tracks in the hajar mountains the steepest and trickiest being Zighy beach climb which is now tarmac and closed off due to Six sense spa, but back in the day in was a very thrilling climb and descent, and not possible without low range up or down and Ive done it both in auto and manual. For auto low range 1 is good enough.

Overall winner : Auto.  Do you agree with this, if not why ? Which points do you agree or disagree with?

Watch the full video to see why one wins over the other in each given situation

• Sad (0) 1

This "expert's" analysis can only be accurate if he had tested every automatic on the market against every comparable manual within the same model range for every manufacturer. 

In my experience - 400 000+ km completed in several overland expeditions through Africa - automatics are just not up to the task in these conditions; in fact, you'll be very hard pressed to find an automatic expedition-grade vehicle- anywhere. 

However, I do agree that (some) automatics have (some) distinct advantages over (some) manuals in the local (UAE) environment, simply because in local off-road conditions, automatics are generally not pushed as hard, or for as long as they would be in a heavy expedition vehicle. Automatics have come along way in the past two decades or so, and if the driver is experienced and knows his vehicle's capabilities and limitations, he can do pretty much everything an experienced driver with manual  gearbox in a comparable vehicle can do. 

Having said that though, the trick in successfully comparing automatics with manuals involves comparing comparable vehicles- anything else is just stating personal preferences, which serves no purpose in a discussion of this kind.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Very nice find Mighty Mike and very well said Treks.

As a car enthusiast's I do love manual, which is more fun and involved in driving but as per different terrain, situations and needs I'm more than happy with an Auto - which is a blessing in almost all the situations I have been into.

I feel learning curve to master Auto to do anything is a lot lesser than the learning curve on the manual gearbox.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

4 hours ago, treks said:

In my experience - 400 000+ km completed in several overland expeditions through Africa - automatics are just not up to the task in these conditions; in fact, you'll be very hard pressed to find an automatic expedition-grade vehicle- anywhere. 

Not too hard though, I know 2 people in my other LR group one has an Auto P38 Range Rover and the other a L322 Range Rover which never came in manual form, both have converted their vehicles in to expedition vehicles and done the entire length of Africa, north to south, east to west all alone, and they had no issues what so ever. The guy even put his fully converted L322 up for sale at a very reasonable price, just didn't have the $$$$ at the time to buy it. 

Manual for expedition always wins simply because as stated above unless they exploded into a million pieces, can still be driven or even fixed out in the bush if you have the right parts along with you and any good prepared overlander carries atleast a spare clutch plate with them. You don't have that luxury with an auto.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1