•  
Advertise here

Automatic Vs Manual Part Duex

ethan

THANK YOU @Barry

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Please explain, which "things" you can do?

It's called intelligence buddy to accept and listen to your mind over heart. My 2006 Nissan Patrol manual has been driven by KING OF OFFROAD drivers and still couldn't climb more than 50% of faya from front in more than 10 attempts.

My stock Pajero (Auto) does 80% of faya from front on any given day.

DSC_1718.JPG

AWESOME!!!!!!! Where is this beauty Now. @Gaurav bhai yaar My Dream Car.

Barry, like I said whatever I shared was based on my own experience.

• I kept Patrol for two years and changed the heavy duty clutch once. Me and wifey drove my current Pajero for 6 years and changed gear oil once and checked few days back and it's still Pink. What you talking is mechanic point of view based on several parameters of people abusing beyond limit and doing stupidity may cause them to cost so much. If owner stick to regular maintenance and drive within reasonable behaviour "I feel" Auto outlast Manual any day.
  • Auto are best for rock climbing to prevent slippage, especially uphill in stop and go motion that happens 90% in manual gear unless driver belong to 10% rally or race breed DNA. Automatic gear locks in place even if car isn't moving and driver foot is off the gas, so that next movement is much more controlled and safer than slipping 500 loose gravel and car rolling backward when driver want it to go upward. Remember I have experience this both and I have been using manual gear since I was in my teens and got my manual license in 2002.
  • For the water wading, I drove my both cars and didn't experience any issue but mention negative for manual as I have read and also seen the video on same subject sometime back.

Diamond:

• Indeed it was a looker and my dream car too after seeing many Patrol flying off the dunes, but sadly those Patrol run on denali 6.2 Liter or LS2 engine with 4.8 re-gearing. My old colleague got LWB stock in 2008 and it was an inch better than LC in hill climb, but nothing of that sort that we see in video or faya or bidayer area climbing insane uphil. Those run on much powerful engines and some with turbo's even.
  • It used to be the case that in all rallies and races they use to opt for manual, now that sphere is also changing with auto stick become ultra smart that can be proven 10 times faster than human being shifting. On other hand professional motor sport vehicles are FAR FROM COMMERCIAL model, so better don't compare, they look good on wallpapers only. They rip apart whole vehicle to build a monster and then skin with commercial model for "Marketing puposes". Ask barry.

The only thing new I like to add to this thread is, not all manual gears are bad in long hill climb and I was probably on of those unlucky ones to get 2006 model stock patrol with stock gearing. I heard since 2012 Patrol SWB gearing has improved quite a lot and it does good hill climb now.

So bottom line you can't use this auto-manual discussion as a blanket rule as most of the time it depends on which vehicle manual is better than auto and vice-versa.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Guys,  

Im new in this forum, i need to contribute my experience based on this topic.

What i feel as a starter  its better to go for Auto than Manual. In Offroad  Manual gear need expertise which develops  on driving experience where and when to put which gear.  Whereas in Auto you just simply drive and enjoy.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Hi Guys,  

Im new in this forum, i need to contribute my experience based on this topic.

What i feel as a starter  its better to go for Auto than Manual. In Offroad  Manual gear need expertise which develops  on driving experience where and when to put which gear.  Whereas in Auto you just simply drive and enjoy.

Right on! Welcome to Carnity Family. I drive a manual and fully agree with you. I am Amateur at it Offroad only.

Edited by DiamondDallas
Additional lines
  • Like (+1) 1

• 9 months later...

I have had both automatic Jeeps and a manual Jeep both had stock 4.0l engines. I had a great time in both. I used the manual when off-roading more and the Auto as my daily driver in heavy traffic. The off roading I did was not sand or dune based. So I am following this thread to learn more. What I did like about my experience is having that second vehicle, if one breaks (Usually the off-road one) you will have a second car to get to work at the end of the weekend and until you get one fixed. Doing it again I would buy a Jeep with better lift, wheels, lighting, and everything else that I want, that is in my budget. The type of transmission is lower on my priority list.

When I was young, 30 years ago, I would kill car batteries a lot. Dead batteries of the past still haunt me. I have not killed a battery in 2 decades. Since those time being stranded still haunt me if I found two Jeeps that are equal I would probably get the manual. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Welcome @Corbie to the madhouse of Auto vs Manual debate. If you have grown old with manual and now switch to Auto, then I'm sure you must have realized that auto is the way forward. Only thing depends on the gearing and chip controlling the downshift as that's what matters the most in off-road (at least in sand). I have seen great car engine failing due to stupid gearing.

Remember before buying your next jeep, do few sand offroad drives to really understand what is needed for the desert. Those fancy monsters with 33 or 35 with 20-inch lift looks good on road to scare people but they actually sit down the dunes eating the dust. If all this is done with massive engine modification or swap to the powerful motor, then it makes sense to have a capable, well-protected climber. For wadi and mountain, these mods may be good in the stock engine, so pick your bet as per your taste.

For desert, my simple theory is getting the MAX power to weight ratio and you will win, even in 2.0 liter 4x4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

As Gaurav mentioned it's a madhouse debate and there can never be a winner.

In my recent past I have driven a Pajero (Auto transmission) and a Cherokee XJ ( Manual Transmission). I most definitely prefer the XJ over the pajero mainly for the manual gearing. I unfortunately had a very bad experience with the Pajero that while doing an Uphill climb in tip tronic the transmission would upshift from 1st grade to 2nd gear at 50 km per hour. And this would make every up Hill Climb a huge task. In my XJ, I get to choose the gearing and that for me is the biggest plus of a manual vehicle. But then there are other automatic transmission vehicles which has a D and 1 like Gaurav's Pajero. Here in this kind of vehicles you'll never have the upshift problem.

Guys I have a question. If you have two identical vehicles one automatic and the other a manual transmission are the gearing ratios different? Also, how much of a difference does the gear ratios make while off roading especially in sand?

• Like (+1) 1