•  
Advertise here

How to prevent winch cable fraying?

I know it's hard to prevent winch cable from fraying once it is used regularly, but I still like to ask this question in case some of us has figured out the way to stop winch cable fraying? Firstly it will extend the cable life, second it will offer safer recoveries and third no more bleeding hand while operating the cable to align while spooling in.

1206-4wd-02+winch-maintenance+frayed-cable.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Grease or rope oil is a bad idea in sandy conditions. The sand sticks to the grease and after a few uses of the rope, the sand/grease mixture turns into a sort of grinding paste that will destroy the rope in very short order. 

I agree with @desertdude though, a synthetic fiber rope is far less hassle, and if you buy the right rope, you get one that is stronger than a steel rope of a similar diameter.  

• Like (+1) 1

if synthetic rope was better then all the wiench and cranes would be using it...we have to take the better with its flaws here guess it means the bleeding hands..we could use cover for the entire length but then it would be thicker then it already is..guess the only option remains is using good fat gloves then

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shadow79 said:

if synthetic rope was better then all the wiench and cranes would be using it...we have to take the better with its flaws here guess it means the bleeding hands..we could use cover for the entire length but then it would be thicker then it already is..guess the only option remains is using good fat gloves then

Maybe not everyone is using synthetic winch ropes because it is so expensive, as opposed to not everyone using it because it does not really work on cranes?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

Fraying is gonna occur in metal or synthetic rope equally as per usage. Mine is aluminum cable, better for high load strength and has better breaking limit.

Price was just a tad expensive 3500 for aluminum cable and 4000 for synthetic rope, but TJM seller told me that 9500 lb Aluminium cable has better breaking limit than 9500 ln synthetic. For same breaking limit, I need 12000 lb synthetic rope and that will be a bit tight for the roller.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Fraying is gonna occur in metal or synthetic rope equally as per usage. Mine is aluminum cable, better for high load strength and has better breaking limit.

Price was just a tad expensive 3500 for aluminum cable and 4000 for synthetic rope, but TJM seller told me that 9500 lb Aluminium cable has better breaking limit than 9500 ln synthetic. For same breaking limit, I need 12000 lb synthetic rope and that will be a bit tight for the roller.

I don't understand- If according to the seller both the aluminium and synthetic ropes have breaking strengths of 9500 lb, how can the aluminium rope have a "better" breaking strength? 

You are right though that fraying will occur on a synthetic rope as well, but the difference is that when it does fray, it does not draw blood like frayed steel or aluminium ropes do. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 27/04/2018 at 10:03 AM, treks said:

You are right though that fraying will occur on a synthetic rope as well, but the difference is that when it does fray, it does not draw blood like frayed steel or aluminium ropes do. 

Totally agree

On 27/04/2018 at 10:03 AM, treks said:

I don't understand- If according to the seller both the aluminium and synthetic ropes have breaking strengths of 9500 lb, how can the aluminium rope have a "better" breaking strength? 

9500 lbs are pulling strength and not breaking strength, usually breaking is much higher so that rope or cable doesn't snap if load exceeds, then simply will stop pulling as per winch limitation.

Last week I have encountered this winch crying when recovering an FJ uphill so I'm sure 2 ton FJC must have become 4-5 ton and that's the first time I heard winch literally crying for help. In that scenario, I rolled the winch in a very small interval and stopped on every cm we have recovered.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Totally agree

9500 lbs are pulling strength and not breaking strength, usually breaking is much higher so that rope or cable doesn't snap if load exceeds, then simply will stop pulling as per winch limitation.

Last week I have encountered this winch crying when recovering an FJ uphill so I'm sure 2 ton FJC must have become 4-5 ton and that's the first time I heard winch literally crying for help. In that scenario, I rolled the winch in a very small interval and stopped on every cm we have recovered.

You are right, they are not the same things, but it was not clear from your comment which rating you were referring to.