•  

Open Club  ·  66 members

New Tech

The end of personal responsibility?

Barry

https://www.thatcham.org/car-safety/automatic-braking/

Thatcham claim that 1,100 lives could be saved and 122,860 casualties could be prevented in the UK over the next 10 years if autonomous braking was implemented by all manufacturers on new cars. 

Whatever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?

• Like (+1) 1

I have always wondered that why we haven't developed such tech since last 10 years or so. Even in my RR, it alert me with beep beep for forward collision warning, which is very helpful in case driver attention is diverted but braking in such scenario will be awesome.

With this, we can really imagine a life without an accident and soon such tech should be deployed on older cars too to make road and road user safer. With present AI age, I don't see it as a big challenge unless there is some logical reasoning for not doing it.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 hours ago, Barry said:

https://www.thatcham.org/car-safety/automatic-braking/

Thatcham claim that 1,100 lives could be saved and 122,860 casualties could be prevented in the UK over the next 10 years if autonomous braking was implemented by all manufacturers on new cars. 

Whatever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?

The problem is that millions of drivers should not be on the road at all. Many, if not most drivers have no idea how efficiently a car can be stopped, so they don't apply the brakes hard enough to avoid a crash. Most drivers are used to the sort of brake applications that stop their cars at a stop sign in town, which does not require the kind of driving skills most people are never taught before they are let loose on the roads.

Autonomous braking on the other hand, uses braking and other capabilities no average driver even knows his vehicle has, so yes, many lives can potentially be saved if the vehicle's control modules are allowed to do what most drivers are not trained to do.

As a practical matter though, autonomous braking will only make sense if all cars  are fitted with it. There is little point in having it available on your car, if the idiot in the rust bucket behind you does not, and rear-ends you as a result of not having it.   

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of newer cars ( not the ones bottom rungs one like corollas and sunnys ) are coming out with braking assist features that if they detect an imminent imapact or an emergency situation they electronically apply full force brake, so it pays to have a car with a few bells and whistles.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use