•  
Advertise here

Any Linux users?

Barry

Currently using Linux on an old laptop I revived, Ubuntu 16.04.

I love it. Beats the hell out of Windows or iOS. So much 

But, I have a problem.

I have tried everything I know but I can't get it to recognise the sound card. All sounds are being sent to dummy output.

Is there anything I can do to test if the card is faulty?

Soundcard may not be faulty but it may not be compatible with Linux, as some hardware are OS specific or at least their drivers.

So find the soundcard brand and see if you can find its compatibility chart to find Ubuntu and then download Linux driver - if it exists.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

It's the standard Intel HD audio card so the drivers are freely available. I have tried many things in the Linux terminal as sudo user, removing all options, reinstalling the sound card, changing the source code, but I still can't get the system to recognise it.

The problem first manifested in an unsanctioned windows 10 update. You know the one, windows is like ok I have to update find something else to do because I am shutting your computer down for 45 minutes. 

I got fed up with windows updating so hard that the computer was unusable so I went to Linux.

Now I can't get sound no matter what I do.

3 hours ago, Barry said:

Currently using Linux on an old laptop I revived, Ubuntu 16.04.

I love it. Beats the hell out of Windows or iOS. So much 

But, I have a problem.

I have tried everything I know but I can't get it to recognise the sound card. All sounds are being sent to dummy output.

Is there anything I can do to test if the card is faulty?

Go to terminal and copy - paste the below command and share the screenshot.

inxi -Fxz

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, shadow79 said:

just disable the update it simply rapes the computer 

You're talking about disabling updates on Win 10? Can't be done. 

12 hours ago, treks said:

You're talking about disabling updates on Win 10? Can't be done. 

This is very true. I’ve even tried to disable through the system registry but still get prompts for updates. 

I will get the laptop up and running tomorrow and try inxi -Fxz and share the results. I’m new to Linux so still finding my feet and it’s hard to find basic information when starting out, most of it is all based around hardcore users. 

Ok I ran, inxi - Fxz

inxi wasn't installed so i ran, sudo apt install inxi then rebooted

When I go into sound settings, sound is being played through dummy output

Then I tried, sudo alsa reload

barry@barry-VGN-CS26G-R:~$ sudo alsa reload
[sudo] password for barry:
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).

So I'm thinking alsa isn't properly installed?

First of all I looove windows 10 great OS.  So much so Ive been exclusively using Windows phones since the first imate came out.

Anyways since I use my my PC for sound production, mixing and mastering. I use this all the time to reroute inputs and outputs between my sound cards. Its worth a shot to download sonething called virtual cable. Its free. Then internally you can reroute sound from your dummy soundcard output to your actual soundcards input, just like patching guitar pedal from your guitar to pedal to amp but virtually. 

Dunno it might work it might not, you have nothing to lose

Don’t get me wrong, windows 10 has its pros. It’s fast and there is a lot of software available. I’m using it on an acer spin and it loads fast. It’s the forced updates I can’t handle. When you want to use it, it’s out of action updating itself. 

I have an old Sony vaio just sitting in a cupboard for 2 years and I’m trying to revive it hence the Linux experimenting. Decentish spec 2.4 ghz, 3gb ram, 300gb hdd so it’s a shame to waste it. I’ve already formatted it and it’s only running Linux and a few apps like libre office. Zero bloat. It’s so good to have the hard drive space back again. If I can get it up and running properly I’ll buy a new battery and replace the hdd with ssd.