•  
Advertise here

Camping light in the engine bay

Gaurav

Recently during our drive, I came across the genius uae local at Faya having a white Nissan Patrol with Whipple supercharger with open hood that was lighting the whole engine bay and all around.

On a closer look, I found out that it was a regular camping light that usually comes with a fishing pole and wire with cig lighter cable and battery clip. This guy has wired the cable from battery to the hood and fixed the light inside the hood. Making it so simple to use while camping and also have awesome light in the engine bay if you need to work. Damn creative and genius idea.

I have installed the same today (DIY) in less than 30 min with the light I'm carrying all the time for camping and most of the time too lazy to install as it takes a long time to set up and pack. I fixed the light first with 3M double-sided tape, but that experiment failed as after 15 minutes of hard pushing the light fall down and it was extremely hot. So instead I tried alternate route of keeping all wiring in place and stick the big magnet behind the light, so whenever I want light I can just stick the magnet under the hood and plug the socket. This way it's much safer and advisable, as if light falls in the engine bay and goes inside the fan then damage can be catastrophic.

20180503_220147.jpg

20180503_220202.jpg

20180503_215735.jpg

20180503_220259.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I’ve done a bit of research on this. Many cars came with a light under the bonnet as standard,

Grand Cherokee 

Porsche 944

Austin Princess

Rover SD1

Datsun 240Z

Porsche 996

Alfa RZ

Ford Cortina Mk3

Early Corvettes 

Volvo 240

Alfa Sprint

Porsche 986

Jaguar XJ40

Volvo 740

Celica Supra

Early 7 series BMW

There are many more. These are just a few examples I’ve turned up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yep, I also google that out of curiosity a few days back, but sadly most of the light were barely as good as phone light that can just show things in the night. The one I stick is almost equivalent to 100 - 200 phones flashlight and plus makes a perfect angle for camping light without dancing in the wind - earlier issue of the fishing pole and plus switch on/off in less than 10 seconds.

P.S. God bless that white Nissan Patrol local for this idea.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Barry said:

The way I see it, if the manufacturer has to put a light under the bonnet for midnight inspection, then the car can't be too good 😂

So means, necessity is the mother of invention in that Supercharged Patrol to climb faya in the least amount of time. And we got impressed by the necessity of camping light setup in 10 seconds, lol.

• Like (+1) 1