•  

Patching instead of solving. A stitch in time saves 9

Barry

I’d love to hear some patching instead of solving stories. 

Mine, I used to work for a guy who had a Mercedes van with the 220 CDi engine. It was forever blowing out the copper injector seals. Every time I had to spend half a day cleaning black funk off the engine then ream the injector seats flat manually. This went on for 2 years. 

As any diesel mechanic knows, the bolts for securing the injectors down in a Diesel Mercedes engine are stretch bolts. 

But this guys logic was it’s cheaper to buy copper washers every time than buy a set of bolts. He never figured my labour cost into it. 

Bu the time I left that job, he could have saved £3,000 (15k dhs) just by buying a set of bolts. But no, washers are cheaper than bolts. 

@Barry that seems like penny wise and pound foolish typical example in your bolt vs washers experience. lol

@shadow79 that's nothing new as many car owners don't even know that their car needs so many other types of lubes than the engine oil what they frequently change, let alone keeping a track of lifetime of gear oil, diff oil, brake oil, coolant etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use