•  
Advertise here

the cars you have mention @desertdude should run fine if you are not using anything which is auxiliary like light or radio or a/c only bare minimum usage should last you quite long those cars are not described as juice thirsty...maybe it was running on battery power way before you noticed the alternator not making juice....

sometimes the battery light is not there but still its not producing the right amperes to support the electrical infrastructure it was designed to hold

9 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

the battery light only comes on when the armature is not producing magnet (not making juice) there are also various other reasons where the battery won't be charging like the stator being grounded and or the regulator burned in open circuit or the diode plate being bad...

well at the time it was day light so that delco powered car should have run fine and if god forbid it was the other way around it had failed i knew of 3 other batteries which could have been swapped and the car would have kept running while the battery would have been charged in other cars...

and trust me we have managed with many interesting things thrown at us because as a team have eachothers backs to support on :-D

the goods were in our terms and the car finished the drive and came in next day to change the belts at the workshop...:-D

My motto has always better safe than sorry and safety first and thought thats the motto too over here, anyways. I think you forget or probably don't know I've also spent a good time of life in this field, have recovered car with broken diffs, burnt clutches, broken rads and dead fuel pumps, repaired and replaced parts in situ from deep inside he dunes of Liwa, not bragging just informing. 

Just because one can, doesn't mean one should, although I'm all for jugard/ghetto fixes but if one can avoid such situations one should and unfortunately no amount of justifications will make me change my mind, take that for what it is ;)

P.S : Or maybe I was just trained this way. We were taught first of all safety and second your vehicle, don't do anything that will risk the safety of your passengers or have any negative effects on your vehicle, maybe because our cars were our sole bread earners, we would rather forsake a days pay than to risk damaging the car and have it end up the shop for even a minute longer than need be.
Because we only got paid if we worked, car out of action meant no payday plus cost of repairs from pocket so two fold damage to the wallet !

as @Gaurav bhai always mentions that safety is paramount which is ofcourse a very good thing

but under no circumstances or any moment in the drive did @Rahimdad bhai felt that the car is unsafe for him or us as a convoy was a danger 

above all we all came there to have some together time and share a passion we all love together so such a small thing which didn't even break the entire drive should have forced us to cut short our drive it is not justifiable as long as we have plan b with us there should not be any changes the convoy must run to its fullest

• Like (+1) 1

Like I said nothing will change my stance on the above situation, Alhamdulillah nothing happened but god forbid if that shredded belt broke and wrapped it self around the main pulley jamming the motor while hitting some side slope, could have ended badly or even getting wrapped around the main fan breaking it and damaging the rad. So we must agree to disagree on this matter. 

It just takes a few seconds to end up with a lifetime of regret. So my only humble request is next time pay caution to the wind and retreat instead of taking unnecessary risks for the sake of fun. 

You can always come back the next day or week to get your fix of the sand. 

End Of.......

• Confused (0) 1

@desertdude whatever you've done or achieved is only known here partially by 2 people. Since you have already retired and no longer come out the rest only know your feats from what you have to say. And actions do speak louder than words. What you said rightly was the fact that it was your job, but this is our hobby, maybe that's why we have a different mind set. What @shadow79 pointed out at having each other's back is part of our experiences together. It was all safely managed as we kept checking every half an hour on the remaining belt and I think if you had been there you would have gone with the flow too.

End off....

@desertdude the only time i have seen a fan blade f**k**g the radiator assy and even cracking open the timing cover and on the was screwing god know what was surely only in a Range Rover

but till date mind you i work in automotive industry and my views are based on a very wide network of shops where we get to meet and share stories have yet to see that in a japanese car the scenario you described

2 hours ago, shadow79 said:

@desertdude the only time i have seen a fan blade f**k**g the radiator assy and even cracking open the timing cover and on the was screwing god know what was surely only in a Range Rover

but till date mind you i work in automotive industry and my views are based on a very wide network of shops where we get to meet and share stories have yet to see that in a japanese car the scenario you described

Once again passing on info, in one of my past lives I also owned and ran a garage and till today am an above average avid DIY'er who is never afraid to get his hands dirty, so I also know a thing or two about vehicles :D 

• Confused (0) 1