•  
Advertise here

Pajero 2012 Timing Belt & Other Suggestions Needed

Dear Friends,

This is my first post here; I was glad to see such a platform wherein we can discuss automobiles and seek recommendations.

I bought one Pajero 2012 GOLD color last October, with zero accidents on it till now Alhamdolillah; I seek recommendations on following:

1. Car Dashboard and Backside (may be rear door) makes noise on slight rough service roads and YELLOW road straps (which are more thicker now in Dubai). Otherwise, there is near-to-nil noise on plain roads.

2. Car has done 98K ODO. Should I change the timing belt now, or take it upto 120K (as I read some other friends posting here) in next 2 years as I don't drive it too much? If this is to be replaced, what other major items to be changed and how much will it cost me overall? Any good place in Sharjah or Dubai wherein I can get it fixed. I was told by a garage in Shj (who worked on my past car Corolla, Accord etc repairs for last 5 years) that Timing Belt and other good-to-be-replaced-with-TimingBelt stuff will cost around 3K.

3. There is a steering wheel grinding noise whenever I turn it any side. Otherwise, it moves smooth. How to get it fixed and in what cost?

• Like (+1) 1

Welcome to the Carnity, MisterPoet (nice ID).

For dashboard noise I'm not sure maybe @skumar83 can advise if this is a usual suspect of Pajero or not, but for rear door always make some noise in the rough area due to huge tall single piece door and you can barely reduce noise by changing the door beading and again it will come in few months. It's more of a design flaw of the door, and that's why many other big size 4x4 comes with 1 and a half or 2 doors to prevent such squeaking and clattering noise.

For timing belt, I think it's 100k kms and not 120k, please refer to your car model owners manual and stick to it completely. @Barry can advise further what all things are recommended to change while doing the timing belt job, so you don't open that area again. I think belt pulley and the water pump is down there.....right barry. Get multiple quotes from the workshop and compare and it should be in 3-4K (Sharjah and Ajman) to 5-6k (Dubai) with original Mitsubishi spare parts + labor. DO NOT BUY NON-GENUINE PARTS for this job, as belt cost is far lesser than the damage it can cause if it breaks.

Check your power steering fluid and top it up to see if this minor steering noise goes away, if not some mechanical diagnose is needed.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I did have the dashboard sound while driving over some rough roads, but I was willing to live with it rather than get the dashboard opened.

I never had an issue of sound from the rear door. 

Regarding the timing belt, I agree with Gaurav, only put the original. Due to certain situation I changed mine at 160k km and the old one was still in good condition.

If you are having a whinning noise while turning the steering wheel it's most likely low fluid. You can put Dexron II or Dexron III ( as mentioned in the Maintenance manual). 

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you @sertac , @Gauravand @skumar83 for your input.

I have heard and read in some other forum on this site that cost of changing timing belt and other stuff shouldn't exceed 1.5k-2K. Is that so?

Also, there is a forum of Pajero owners in CapeTown who have some experts to reduce dashboard noise by the installation of metal support brackets through dismounting the audio system and some other parts of dashboard. As per the members of the forum there, it reduces the dashboard noise largely. 

• Like (+1) 1

I recommend you change the belt, 2 idler pulleys and tensioner. Changing the water pump is optional. It rarely fails but it's better to spend a few extra dirhams when everything is stripped back that far already. No point paying 2 sets of labour charges. 

As for which belt you use, yes the original Mitsubishi belt is good but don't discount a belt made by gates. Gates are one of the leading belt manufacturers and supply belts for new cars. You just don't see it because it's labeled differently. 

And yes 1.5-2k is a good price. The dealer charges 7k. The parts cost between 5-600, of course the mechanic is entitled to his markup, but the dealer price includes 5k of bs.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks @Barry for your recommendations. So, should I go for Mitsubishi or Gates timing belt and where can I get it in Sharjah? 

Also, I need your recommendations of some garage in Sharjah for this work in AED 1.5-2K please.

Any advise on who can help me in Sharjah/Dubai to fix dashboard noise. It doesn't produce any noise on smooth roads but only while moving over humps or think yellow lines found mostly on road turns in Dubai. Does anyone fix the metal brackets here?

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:46 AM, MisterPoet said:

Thanks @Barry for your recommendations. So, should I go for Mitsubishi or Gates timing belt and where can I get it in Sharjah? 

Also, I need your recommendations of some garage in Sharjah for this work in AED 1.5-2K please.

Any advise on who can help me in Sharjah/Dubai to fix dashboard noise. It doesn't produce any noise on smooth roads but only while moving over humps or think yellow lines found mostly on road turns in Dubai. Does anyone fix the metal brackets here?

Did this noise develop off late or was always there? Please elaborate.

On timing belt it is your decision to go with whatever you want. You can buy either of the two as suggested by Barry. Personally I would prefer the Mitsubishi ones. 

Regarding garages in Sharjah, you can visit "Fantastic Auto Maintenance". Heard some nice things about them from my colleagues. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks @vishlad702 for the pop up.

The dashboard noise is what I got since my purchase last October. I have read many forums and seen YouTube videosthat suggest that feeling road bumps and roughness is a matter with every Pajero.It makes rattling noise only on rough road. 

May be I feel it as I never drove SUV before n have other car as Accord which is quiet n smooth.

Is this garage owned by Mr. Mohsin as adcisedbby @Barry from where you got the work done?

• Like (+1) 1