•  

some very important gauges

shadow79

there are some information which if known by the driver in the correct time can avoid catastrophic damages specially if the car is being used in extreme driving conditions

and as many of us have cars and they already have somewhat things covered but not everything is covered in all the cars

like the echo and yaris and tiida versa and lately many new cars are just having only 2 lights which show if the car is cold or hot and now people will argue that they are not used for extreme but i have had customers come in with blown gaskets at the workshop only because they hadn't noticed the light or took note when it was already late

the extreme use is already a loud music and sync of fire 'explosions and never tiring run of gears and all of it is balanced on a knife edge of power and catastrophe and if we have a few things in handy sight we can know the music we hearing is of it doing the work right or the last that we will hear from it before it dies 

the heavy intended use of automotive's like race and off road applications where must have these things in plain sight are the coolant temperature ,engine oil pressure , boost (if super charged or turbocharged) 'exhaust gas temperature' transmission temperature  and if known and understood can avert many things if raised or lower then normal levels...

will shed some more light and love if anyone's in doubt or needs help in understanding those gauges which are there to help us use the machinery the way its meant to be....:-D

• Like (+1) 1

Like the stupid base model Jeep XJ which only has a light which comes on after you have overheated by that time is already too late.

Also a lot of modern car specially BMW for example in order to keep emissions low run at such high temperatures they are already on the verge of overheating, the thermostat opens at 105 or 10 where most cars are already overheating at that temp. 120 is normal operating temp and at 125 the engine is considered cooked. Normal engine oil turns to grease so always have to use fully synthetic. 

Plus so much heat from the engine and the climate here turns all rubber and plastic component and fittings under the into dust

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that it is really, really stupid to replace critical instruments with just warning light that may or may not work. What are these designers and accountants thinking of- are simple heat gauges really that expensive on the scale that say, Toyota is producing cars? 

35 minutes ago, treks said:

I agree that it is really, really stupid to replace critical instruments with just warning light that may or may not work. What are these designers and accountants thinking of- are simple heat gauges really that expensive on the scale that say, Toyota is producing cars? 

In an effort to me more sleek and stylish. 

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, treks said:

Let me share something the so called scale gauges that already linger in many cars are also not so accurate they just give a vague idea of whats going on sometimes very late to notify about the inevitable....

• Like (+1) 1

Just seen this thread and some very good points made about only having warning lights instead of gauges and having crappy gauges. The majority of drivers wouldn’t know how to read the gauge or never look at it. I’ve fixed many cars with blown gaskets and warped heads and I always ask the owner did it overheat? More often than not they say no or I don’t know which goes to show the speedometer is the only relevant gauge for them. 

When I got my first car I bought a cheap set of gauges, oil pressure, water temperature and voltage and built a little panel. I always put it in any car I knew I was keeping for a while, only took 1-2 hours but it saved my ass on more than one occasion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Barry said:

When I got my first car I bought a cheap set of gauges, oil pressure, water temperature and voltage and built a little panel. I always put it in any car I knew I was keeping for a while, only took 1-2 hours but it saved my ass on more than one occasion. 

Great idea Saleem and even greater idea Barry for having few key gauges in a single panel.

Barry, please build some more panel (GOOD QUALITY) now and I'm sure many car enthusiasts will love it here.

I will pre-order one now.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Just now, desertdude said:

Making the panel isnt the hard part wiring it up is

I thought so too, but when Barry said moving it up took 1-2 hours, means it isn't a big mess (i guess).

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, desertdude said:

Making the panel isnt the hard part wiring it up is

Wiring it is easy. Finding somewhere to insert the oil pressure and water temperature sensor is the hard part. If you love your car enough you will pay the machine shop to make the adaptors. 

Important Information

Terms of use