•  

some very important gauges

shadow79

7 hours ago, Barry said:

Also to add, always go for electrical gauges with sender units. Some gauges like oil pressure, turbo pressure have a pipe running directly to the gauge. If that pipe breaks it will cover the back of your dashboard in oil. 

Really? Didnt even know indash non mechanical gauges existed, who would want that, just another point of failure for you coolant or oil to leak

They’re popular for hydraulic systems because they’re simple and cheap to manufacture. They’re also good for testing purposes because you can simply screw it into a port to check pressures, no messing with wires. 

The pressure goes inside the copper bit which is known as a bourdon tube. This makes it uncoil a bit which in turn moves the needle. 

460898B0-C8F4-4972-818A-3BFB26EADB03.jpeg

the mechanical ones are really precise and up to the dot it will also record the minor fluctuations too and it requires a calibration ones in awhile..the electronic one will flatten the minor fluctuations and the sensor will have a minimum and maximum point below that and above that it wont show...

And also as per my recent research electrical are better than OBD ones, as they only catch the fluctuation what OBD tells them and in case if OBD doesn't record exhaust or oil pressure then they won't deliver that.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

9 hours ago, Barry said:

They’re popular for hydraulic systems because they’re simple and cheap to manufacture. They’re also good for testing purposes because you can simply screw it into a port to check pressures, no messing with wires. 

The pressure goes inside the copper bit which is known as a bourdon tube. This makes it uncoil a bit which in turn moves the needle. 

460898B0-C8F4-4972-818A-3BFB26EADB03.jpeg

I know there are such gauges and they are precise I have a couple to test fuel rail pressure but didnt know in dash mech gauges existed. Who needs the added headache of plumbing going all the way feom the dash to motor

I had one such oil pressure gauges' plumbing fail on a Cortina XR6 once. It was not pretty- had to replace half of the carpet and both front seats. Avoid these gauges if at all possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

XR6 is a cool car. We didn’t get it or the XR8. We never got the P100 Cortina either but we got the P100 Sierra. If some of those cars were shipped to UK/Ireland they would sell for good money. 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use