•  
Advertise here

Nissan Pathfinder R50 engine sludge.

Recently due to engine oil leak I had given my R50 to @shadow79 who has done a brilliant job sealing it up to get rid of the leak. However due to some heating issue there is some sludge in the engine. Although I have been assured that as long as I change oil on time it's not going to have any effect, but it kind of bothers me. I have also been warned not to try any solution because if any part of the sludge goes to the engine block it will be doomed.

I still tried to do some homework and discovered that running kerosene in the oil chamber would clean up the sludge, put in fresh oil and Walla no more sludge.

Now I am confused and want a second opinion? Please help.

You can also try putting in 500ml of ATF 100kms before your next oil change and use a fully synthetic oil due to both fluids having greater detergent qualities. But you could end up with new leaks as sludge might actually be holding some leaks back. Also nothing will actually fully clean your motor without actually pulling it apart but will help of you do a couple if these cycles.

Also sludge builds up overtime and a temp overheating issue will not cause it. If your car overheated so much as to turn your oil into sludge ot would surely blow the head gaskets as well cause other serious damage. So its probably been building over time, due to poor oil quality, low oil quality and delayed changes or all off the above.

And I would surely have the motor cleaned up, as the sludge could be blocking oil passages which lubricate and cool vital parts of the engine.

When I bought my disco at 170k it was slightly sludgy as I could see from the oil cap. But after continuous use of diesel oil when the engine was stripped at 300k for a new timing chain and gears and general cleanup. Didnt find any sludge anywhere. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

that's where the exhaust temperature gauge comes in handy to really tell you exactly where things are going when you are throttle happy....the cooling system is fine even i hope the oil quality is good as he has been here for few oil changes and i dont see him trying to put camel oil to save a few bucks...its that the exhaust gas temperature gives you an instantaneous picture of exactly what is going on inside your engine. As loads build, exhaust gas temperatures rise. If they’re rising too high it’s a pretty safe bet your engine is running hotter than a pressure cooked fryer … and will no doubt culminate in a fried head

this also serves as to see a side of your engine that is honestly far more important than what your coolant is doing. It can tell you if your fuel mix is too rich or lean, your exhaust is too restrictive, and if you need to ease off the right foot as you’re climbing a hill. 

• Confused (0) 1

EGT is more relevant in Diesel engines, particularly turbo diesels than it is in petrol. 

I wouldn’t rely too much on EGT gauge for AFR. If you want accurate information it’s better to fit a wideband AFR sensor and gauge. 

RE the sludge, I would put a little bit of paraffin in the engine oil, run it for 10 minutes and drain it while it’s still hot. Repeat as necessary.  You can buy bottles of engine flush but it’s basically paraffin with a fancy label. 

• Like (+1) 1