•  
Advertise here

New music

Barry

So what new music is everyone listening to now?

I got into Ghost a few months ago, really digging the new single. Can't wait for the new album. I dont know what genre to stick them in, they're just Ghost.

• Like (+1) 1

For me there is no.more good live band guitar based music worth listening to for atleast the last 15 years. All the big metals bands either stopped or went weird aka Metallica.

They most recent music that I can think off that I really like is Bruno Marrs 24k magic. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqyT8IEBkvY

And recently a friend introduced me to some house music that Ive also started to dig

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1OVCtfYgo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVxRXt0pKnI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSy25teF40

• Like (+1) 2

New music? How about Pink Floyd, circa 1982? In my opinion, the late 70's -early 80's was when the last good music was made (not only by Pink Floyd), so to me, there is no "new" music worth listening to or spending money on. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, treks said:

New music? How about Pink Floyd, circa 1982? In my opinion, the late 70's -early 80's was when the last good music was made (not only by Pink Floyd), so to me, there is no "new" music worth listening to or spending money on. 

That's just the grumpy old man in you! Do you ever recall your dad saying the same thing! :) bah new music, what new music, good music ended in the 40s! Lol

I agree most of today's stuff is just meh at best but there are still some good artists out there and every now and then a good tune comes along from crappy ones too.

P.S : Never been a fan of Pink floyd, hate the Beatles and Elvis Presley. Jimi Hendrix was mediocre at best and his only claim to fame was dying young. 

CCR, Eagles, The Who, Journey among many others I can dig from the 70s and being am 80s child I like most of 80s and 90s stuff. Even weird britpop stuff like Bros Blue Mercedes SlyFox Sanita etc etc

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, desertdude said:

That's just the grumpy old man in you! Do you ever recall your dad saying the same thing! :) bah new music, what new music, good music ended in the 40s! Lol

I agree most of today's stuff is just meh at best but there are still some good artists out there and every now and then a good tune comes along from crappy ones too.

P.S : Never been a fan of Pink floyd, hate the Beatles and Elvis Presley. Jimi Hendrix was mediocre at best and his only claim to fame was dying young. 

CCR, Eagles, The Who, Journey among many others I can dig from the 70s and being am 80s child I like most of 80s and 90s stuff. Even weird britpop stuff like Bros Blue Mercedes SlyFox Sanita etc etc

The thing is that I never listen to background music, even if it is Pink Floyd. I only listen to music when I need to hear it, and so the music has to do something for me, such as reminding me that the world is not always a bad or dangerous place to live in. Or to lift me out of a murderous rage when a client thinks he needs to teach me my job. Or, sometimes, to remind me that the world is indeed an extremely dangerous place to live in, and Pink Floyd and Jim Steinman (among a few others) are very good at reminding me of this.  

New music, (whatever it's called) can generally not do that for me- and especially stuff that is made specifically to be forgotten two minutes after its release, because the "composer" has nothing relevant to say about anything. Today's commercial music is all about obsolescence and being the "next big thing", as opposed to being made to still be relevant thirty of forty years down the line. 

Nonetheless, I agree that some good music still occasionally makes it through the general dross of synthesized crap that passes for musicianship these days, but these are the exceptions that prove the rule, (for me at least), which is why none of my cars have ever had a working sound system over the past thirty five years or so.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/22/2018 at 11:46 PM, desertdude said:

For me there is no.more good live band guitar based music worth listening to for atleast the last 15 years. All the big metals bands either stopped or went weird aka Metallica.

The last Metallica album Hardwired to self destruct wasn’t a bad effort. It’s no Master of Puppets but there a few decent stand out tracks on it.

The majority of modern metal sucks, most of it is screamo and metalcore crap, baby’s first metal band kind of music. There are some bands making good music though. Striker from Canada put out some good stuff, like a mix of NWOBHM and speed metal. 

Anybody got any love for Die Antwoord? Now that’s something interesting to listen to. Just a shame they stopped making music but they haven’t officially disbanded so hopefully we’ll see something from them in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

@treks you should give this album a listen to full way through. It's old but it's a classic. I always imagine if Pink Floyd started making music in the 00s, this is what they would sound like. Very progressive with a side of metal. Some really odd time signatures too. A nightmare for anyone wanting to learn guitar and play along, you need to forget everything you ever knew.

• WOW (+2) 1

Ironically nowadays the only time I sit down with music when Im producing some new tunes or mixing or mastering my own or some clients tracks.

Other than that, specially of late, I don't listen to any music. Its been over a year and half since I got my Range Rover and still haven't given its 12 speaker sound system a decent workout. I don't even have any radio stations set on it! 

• Like (+1) 1

Radio stations here suck. Radio 2 99.3 is the only one I would ever listen to. It plays "classics". 

Internet radio killed it all. I can tune into some random station in America and listen to Striker playing a live concert. Why would I bother with terrestrial radio?

• Like (+1) 1

TBH I was never too much of a radio fan, terrestrial or not. I'm too opinionated to listen to stuff I dont like and not be in control of the playlist. Only time I ever really listened to radio was while on commutes.

• Like (+1) 1