•  
Advertise here

Pajero misfiring on idle

Having an issue with my Pajero 3.5, missing during idle. No missing observed during start/cold start or during driving. 2011Y Model, 70K on ODM

# Fuel efficiency: 6.5 – 7 KM / Ltr on normal drive, 7.5 KM / Ltr on highway 2.5K RPM, 8.5 KM / Ltr on highway 2k RPM. I am not sure missing cause high fuel consumption\

## So far tried below ##

# Replaced all spark plugs without luck from a local garage without luck.

# I got it checked at Musaffah Bosch service centre Abu Dhabi and they couldn't find any errors in computer scanning. Suggested to remove all coils and check it using a multi meter for shortage and replace faulty coils in any. But they are not sure that this fix will resolve the issue. Finally they advised to drive the car until the issue become more saviour

# Consulted another local garage in Musaffah, they suggested to remove all the coils and get it tested and replace the faulty if any, but they are also not confident that this will fix the misfire.

# consulted Bateen Bosch service centre and they referred to Al Habthoor,

# I hesitate to go Al Habtoor especially after going through the service costs in forums and since my car is old doesn’t worth too much spending.

### Please suggest or share your experience in on this issue

### Do anybody know good affordable garage/experts in Abu Dhabi for Pajero?

### If I drive with misfire will it cause any other issues?

### Will this cause increase in fuel consumption?

Please any helpful advise on this.

ok try this old hack, at night go to someplace dark, carry a bottle of water spray without. And with the engine running spray water mist around coils, plug wires and if there is a short you will see electricity arcing and sparking. If this doesnt show any conclusive results. 

With the car started disconnect and connect every plug wire, if the missing gets worse you know that one is working and put that back in. If you reach a coil where disconnecting and connect doesnt make any difference, then that is your suspect circuit. Either that coil, wire or plug is bad. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks @desertdude . I completely agree on your suggestions and okay to try. But I think Pajero has only one spark plug visible outside and others are other side of the engine which cannot be reached without removing engine top. I will check this and confirm.

A coil issue might show up on idle but generally, the main sign is you will notice a misfire or stuttering on acceleration. 

On the Pajero, you can reach under the right side of the inlet manifold (when looking from the front) and disconnect the leads and see which cylinder the problem is on. 

I recommend finding a proper mechanic who has a proper computer that can read live data that shows cylinder firing and you will soon see where the problem lies.

there are too many mechanics here who just plug a computer in and see data and have no understanding of how to interpret it if no fault codes are logged. 

• Like (+1) 2

it could be a sludged idle speed control valve as your problem is only visible during idle

it could point towards fuel pump pressure coils and injectors if the missing was rpm or speed related

why dont you remove that speed control thingy and get it cleaned nicely and toss it back in and while you are at it also get the throttle body cleaned too and keep an eye out for that air filter thingy as its almost always overlooked...

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Like (+1) 2

Please clarify that it actually doing missing or rough idling? There is a fine line between these two terms. So google the causes for both and watch few videos to co-relate that which one is present in your Pajero.

If it is rough idling means rpm is dancing or fluctuating too, then most certainly you need to replace ICV - Idle Control Valve. Search this forum with ICV and you will get my old thread and the similar saga of trying an incompetent workshop with no guaranteed results. In the end, I bought that ICV for 500-600 dhs from habtoor and changed myself in 10 minutes as it is sticking very much outside with 2-3 nut bolts and wiring connector.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav Thank you, I searched for your ICV thread but couldn't locate it, appreciate if you could share the link.

I will capture a small video clip while the issue happens and post here soon.

@shadow79 Thank you for your hints, I will check this as well.

@Barry Thank you, I tried to send you a message but didn't go through for some reason. Seems you are running a car garage somewhere UAE. If yes, and you can share location, I could take the car to you to get it checked.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Teche said:

@Barry Thank you, I tried to send you a message but didn't go through for some reason. Seems you are running a car garage somewhere UAE. If yes, and you can share location, I could take the car to you to get it checked.

I stopped working professionally as a tech around a year ago and I’m working in a different field now. These days I just look after a handful of cars for my employer and workmates. I haven’t really got time to get too deep into fixing other people’s cars so I just give advice when possible.