•  
Advertise here

Pajero misfiring on idle

Thank you @Gaurav  and @Barry .

I am in search of a good mechanic and once I found, I will follow all above mentioned troubleshooting instructions and update here. Just listing them below.

#Scan using a proper computer to find error code, if any.

#Remove spark plug cables one at a time while engine running and try to locate problematic plug/coil/cable

#Get the Air Filter check and replace if dirty

#If there is no finding in above steps, replace ICV

BTW now I recall similar experience in my previous Pajero [ 2K5 Model, 3.5K KM in ODM ]. Engine used to misfire during idle and then halt with a engine error light. Engine refused start until I remove battery terminal cable and connect it back, which resets the engine warning light. I was unable to reproduce this issue in the garage, mechanic  did't find any error code during computer scan. I live with this issue for months by keeping a spanner near my seat to remove battery terminal when engine halts. Finally, one day I manged to take the car to the garage while engine warning light was ON and they found that issue was in air filter sensor. They recommended to replace it and told me new one will cost couple of hundred Dhirham. Mechanic arranged one spare from used market for AED100 and it resolved that issue forever. Now I think the part he replaced may be ICV.

Thank you all for your support!

1 minute ago, desertdude said:

Please don't tell me you bought a used air filter! Its akin to buying a used oil filter!

Its NOT a used air filter :) , but it was air filter sensor, I assume it was ICV

2 hours ago, Teche said:

Its NOT a used air filter :) , but it was air filter sensor, I assume it was ICV

It must be Air Flow Meter, which is placed in air filter neck in between air filter and engine intake manifold. And symptom you said is often caused by that sensor going crazy or 90% of the time lose, I tied mine with a cable tie and never experience any problem.

ICV job is exactly what it says - IDLE CONTROL VALVE so it literally controls the idle RPM and if it's not working either idle RPM will drop below 600 rpm and stall the car or it will increase to waste a lot of fuel while in idling or it will result in dancing RPM from 600 - 1200 range - that's what it used to happen with me.

If your Idle is stable with and without AC, then your ICV is fine, so don't waste money. In Pajero, ideal idle should be around 700-750 rpm without AC and 900-950 rpm with AC. If yours is well within this range then you are fine.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi, 

I know this might sound little funny,  but do you want to get the intake manifold checked for any leaks may be like a hairpin leak .

sounds weirdo but that might fix the issue for you.. and yes get the throttle body cleaned once.

Anyways, u r going to get lots of work done trying and testing try the one i recommend its cheap.

if there is a leak in manifold try putting sealant but only toyota original if it secures the leak ur idling issue is gone forever.

Mohit