•  
Advertise here

Oooo....that cant be good at all! How did it happen? No coolant, oil, oil pressure, blown head gasket? Were there no tell tales signs that something is amiss. And what does motor is fried entail? 

A motor just doesn't fry out of the blue, its usually a chain of events. And knowing how OCD Gaurav is about his cars its hard to think he missed anything. I know he will investigate the hell out of it even if its just some odd noise he heard just once. So its very hard for me to believe he didnt see or feel it coming and immediately took some action

And honestly if it was someone else, I wouldn't have given it much thought as your avg joe is usually oblivious most of the time as what his car trying to say to him.

Waiting to hear his side of the story. 

I know guys, it truly sad and I'm really upset with this incident but I have passed the stage of denial last night.

How did it happen, is a million dollar question. I knew my Pajero had a minute leak that I have been keeping a close eye and have been checking the oil level before every week drive and on Friday too I have checked the oil level in mid-drive even after suhoor, two hours before this incident. Air filter was recently cleaned and oiled well. Coolant was topped up a night before and expansion bottle had enough coolant within the min-max level. Occasionally car was running warm from 45% - 60% of heat gauge as last Friday, the night was also hot and almost all cars were running a bit warm. However when this incident happen car was at normal 45% heat level since last 3 hours. Engine oil I'm using Mobil 1 since last 7 years and have never driven more than 3k on 5k oil, this particular oil change happened 2400 km back, so well within usable life.

While doing insane climb on Faya from the right side, which is really extreme at 95% of the climb I heard the first knocking noise and exited the climb immediately and didn't push thereafter. And after almost an hour later, driving under 3k rpm as the knocking noise was coming after the 3k band, the car stalled on its own while driving on a flat track at 1.5k rpm and never started again.

Mechanic turns the engine by hand and the car started but resulted in a loud knocking noise from deep inside the engine, which seems like crank is gone. On later inspection of engine oil, we found the metal shavings in the engine oil that confirmed that either bearing or crank has gone and must have caused the damage that is beyond repair.

According to a mechanic, at some point oil pump must have given up partially which was enough to cook the engine during that insane climb while under stress and resulted in this mess. Highly improbable and bad luck situation to happen, as I have never seen any engine light before or after this incident but the damage is evident and all we can take is an educated guess on what must have happened now.

Now I'm searching for a good used engine, which is very rare for this super rare model and to find clean one is an even more difficult task. Scouted Sharjah yesterday and found 3 rotten engines. Just now went to Sajja and UAQ and didn't found any. Search is still on, even from online sources outside UAE, so let's see when I will get lucky again.

• Sad (0) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Another option, though not very feasible, would be to look to get another 3.5 litre Pajero and put that car engine in your Pajero. It would also help that you have a ready supply of used spare parts as well. It can be the 5 door model as well. The reason I mentioned to swap only the engine is because of the amount of work that you have done on your existing ride.

Edited by skumar83
  • Like (+1) 1

the engine is old so it surely has been well passed the break in period...the only explanation there is of a knocking engine is oil lubrication...

as after inspection of oil there were shiny particles in oil which is a sign of bearings and journals....

and engines don't go poof and die surely there was a sign the car would have run a bit sluggish or heavy way before it made the sound or engine died...

there should not be any major difference in 5 or coupe version engine or transmission of same years

I guess that last climb was the last straw that broke the camels back.

If the block is fine then maybe rebuild the engine? See if upgraded heavy duty parts are available online, maybe even a stroker kit, perhaps. 

But you will need a good and competent mechanic who knows what hes doing, maybe bribe barry to comeout of retirement! 

Look on Australian sites as this Pajero is omewhat popular there but unfortunately mostly diesel, but no harm in trying. 

stating what is beaten and how much beaten can only be found out by a tear down of this engine

and after a few words with a guy who works in habtoor said if the problem is down then let go of the engine if its in the head only then its fine you can go for rebuild...

and i think the upgraded pistons bearings and rings will suerly need a upgraded head compnents as well then it all boils down to cost and the ultimately passing issue with higher co's

as bearing in mind that the lathe works is still not as completely professional as in western countries where they actually boil the components and then start work on them and they have proper measuring tools which even gauge the difference in very mute scalings

if it were any other car which is a occasional off roader or only street driving then no problem the rebuild is still possible hell even one of the 3 engines which gaurav bhai checked out was tadd good to be tossed in for 2.5k instead of going for all the trouble and still it would work out just fine but i have seen them drive its full time hardcore off roading....

Edited by shadow79
more info