•  
Advertise here

Engine Gasket

Hi 

Yesterday i was climbing jabal jais while climbing my Engine heat level reached red zone and before it make any damage i stopped my car and let it cool down.

I was driving on manual gears and was driving on 3rd gear continuously, Now i wonder why my coolant  went hot - is there any problem with my car ? or is my gasket is blown 

When i opened my bonnet the coolant was boiling and it was over flowing thru reservoir

If gasket is damaged how to check it 

Need some advice please 

There is no flight on dash of any sort also after cooling down every thing was normal and no sign of any over heating 

My car Pajero 2008 with 190 kms 

continuous revving on lower gears makes the the coolant expand and spit out of reservoir...when doing such kind of driving ensure to keep an eye for the temp. gauge and oil pressure gauge...well leave it to cool off nicely and top up with coolant or water and bleed off the system if equipped with such

keep an eye in the radiator cap place and see if any bubbles are coming up if not then all is good 

P.S do the last step when car is sitting up all night or at least such time has passed to gauge the damage if any that occured or else better yet let some professional mechanic handle such things

there is high risk of cap flying off and you burning your self

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Older car, heat and extreme driving conditions. Your radiator or fan not be working at 100% capacity. enough for everyday conditions but not suitable for being pushed.

And why were you doing such a long climb just in 3rd anyways!!!! If nothing happened to the motor you can risk overheating and causing permanent damage to the transmission.

Ive driven up and down Jabel Jais a dozen or more times there are only a few places an auto trans hunts for a gear. 

Only time I use the manual triptronic is when coming down to use some engine braking and not just rely on brakes and avoid brake fade.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I agree with desertdude, that there is no such need for the tarmac based climb to switch to Tiptronic, let D handle and manage the downshift and upshift as required. This way RPM and gear fluctuation will help let engine and tranny to breath and use the entire range of gears. Secondly, it was good that you were keeping an eye on heat gauge and pulled over before car dies of its own. As 90 out of 100 times if the car dies of its own means irreparable damage to engine head and head gasket been done.

To know now if your engine head gasket is damaged or not check for below things in the sequence of severity:

• Any loss of power in any gear or quick throttle response has reduced?
  • Any white smoke is appearing from the exhaust while engine reached it's operating temperature?
  • Has engine oil or coolant turned milky or sticky or appear different than it's usual color?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

12 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I agree with desertdude, that there is no such need for the tarmac based climb to switch to Tiptronic, let D handle and manage the downshift and upshift as required. This way RPM and gear fluctuation will help let engine and tranny to breath and use the entire range of gears. Secondly, it was good that you were keeping an eye on heat gauge and pulled over before car dies of its own. As 90 out of 100 times if the car dies of its own means irreparable damage to engine head and head gasket been done.

To know now if your engine head gasket is damaged or not check for below things in the sequence of severity:

• Any loss of power in any gear or quick throttle response has reduced?
  • Any white smoke is appearing from the exhaust while engine reached it's operating temperature?
  • Has engine oil or coolant turned milky or sticky or appear different than it's usual color?

• Any loss of power in any gear or quick throttle response has reduced? - No found any after 2 days 
  • Any white smoke is appearing from the exhaust while engine reached it's operating temperature? No yet 
  • Has engine oil or coolant turned milky or sticky or appear different than it's usual color? - No Change in Oil , but i can see my coolant has turned a bit brownish which i think is from radiator rust 
  •  
  • After 2 days i didn't found coolant warming it is in Between which i think is normal, also car is running smooth with no loss of power a bit sluggish which i think pajero is tend to  

1 hour ago, Sidshk said:
  • Any loss of power in any gear or quick throttle response has reduced? - No found any after 2 days 
  • Any white smoke is appearing from the exhaust while engine reached it's operating temperature? No yet 
  • Has engine oil or coolant turned milky or sticky or appear different than it's usual color? - No Change in Oil , but i can see my coolant has turned a bit brownish which i think is from radiator rust 
  •  
  • After 2 days i didn't found coolant warming it is in Between which i think is normal, also car is running smooth with no loss of power a bit sluggish which i think pajero is tend to  

Seems like your car is ok. Only if you flush all your coolant and change it will be better. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, sertac said:

Seems like your car is ok. Only if you flush all your coolant and change it will be better. 

I agree, to clean and monitor also.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.