•  
Advertise here

the toyota corolla tercel 1999 owner review

Something similar with a 2.0 Litre engine today would make for a fabulous beater.
I've got something like this with 517,000 kms on the odo. But, it's just a 1.3 Lancer off an acquaintance and the lack of power is disappointing. Planning to replace with a 2.0 beater when the time comes to renew it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

@stig I find any post '93 1.3 engine lacks power and torque; save Toyota's... I've driven 1.3s from pretty much all the other major Japanese brands and they do disappoint. Makes it hard to get out of a service lane, enter a roundabout or even a fast moving highway. The only way to get a decent enough performance from them, even a lancer, was to get a manual and redline the engine for the initial push. That too sometimes wasn't enough..

Toyota's 1.3 even on a larger corolla was great. I remember the Tercel's replacement - the Echo. It was hideous, but it was a good car with a good engine. 

• Confused (0) 1

21 minutes ago, Barry said:

What about the 1.3 4E-FTET from the Starlet GT? 133 BHP and 157 nm of torque. Pretty decent for something that small. Very tuneable too. 

Like I said earlier, Toyota is pretty much the only manufacturer with a peppy 1.3. The rest of the manufacturers (Nissan, Mitusbishi, Honda, etc) always left us wanting. 

• Confused (0) 1

Honestly, back in day, we had 1997 -  98 1.3 Honda Civics as company cars for the courier company I was working at. At the same time we also had 1.3 Toyota Echos...  Now the Civic was an amazing car, but it didn't have the VTEC and its acceleration wasn't at the level of the Echos. The couriers were pretty much fighting over the Echos and being a car guy, I couldn't understand why.

My friend had a Civic Vti 1.8 & that was fast. It was only when I took a ride in both I understood. Honda's 1.3 was seriously under powered; which is why later Civics never came with a 1.3 and that engine was given the VTEC and then out in the Honda City and the Jazz. That was when the engines made sense. 

• Confused (0) 1

and @adil why don't you share with us your loving honda's famous gearbox failures i have changed some of them in 3 months gap too

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Like (+1) 1