•  
Advertise here

2012 Mercedes GL 500 - owner review

After a lot of research and patience, I bought my first Mercedes ever about two years back - Mercedes Benz GL 500, recently crossed 200k kms last month. I have driven my friend ML500 for a week before buying this and I was completely convinced that I needed such amazing, spacious, and powerful daily driver. Thinking for 5.5 engine it consumes way less than any V6 in the market as Mercedes have done some crazy fuel science and I get around 12-14 L/100 gas mileage with a combine in 30% city + 70% highway. With 382 hp there is no shortage of power and as per internet, it can sprint 0-100 in 7.5 seconds for such huge 4x4. This car has some amazing blend of luxury and ruggedness which make me so happy to own it and I hope I can keep her forever if she continues to behave well in long run. I really love her three-row spacious seating that can accommodate 7 pax without any fuss and noise at the far end.

The interior's quite a bit more overtly luxurious, with wood trim and glints of metallic trim; its controls are laid out well, and there are fewer of the tiny, inscrutably labeled switches. GL 500 shifts power through a seven-speed automatic to all four wheels, with an electronic all-wheel-drive system that limits wheelspin through anti-lock braking, a system pioneered on the M-Class, which sometimes I hate too much %^%&^&*.  For safety, it has standard curtain airbags, stability control, all-wheel drive, a rearview camera, Bluetooth, Adaptive cruise control and blind-spot monitors etc. For entertainment it has standard power front seats; a power-fold feature for the third-row seat; a glass sunroof over the rear two rows of seats; a COMAND controller for climate, audio and navigation systems; Bluetooth; and an AM/FM/six-DVD changer, navigation system, 610-watt Harman Kardon Logic 7 audio system with surround sound; and a rear-seat DVD entertainment system with twin 8-inch screens and wireless headsets.

Things that needed repair or replacement from time to time

• Air suspension
  • Oil cooler seal leaking
  • ball joints, boots, bushes, moountings etc.
  • Minor electrical issue with music system - no volume sometime
  • Coolant leak due to some burst
  • Battery, tires, wipers etc - regular consumable

Mercedes GL 500.JPG

Mercedes GL 500 interior.JPG

Mercedes GL 500 door.JPG

Edited by aatish
  • Like (+1) 5