•  
Advertise here

Porsche 911-993 in Dubai Heat - Advice

Quinndi

Hi Guys - hoping someone has some owner knowledge of what it is like having a 911-993 (1995) model in Dubai heat?

I believe the 993 is air cooled so wondered how it would cope with Dubai temps (both winter and summer) - same goes with AC and can it handle the heat? 

I will be living in Dubai full time likely from next year (my wife is there now but i work away in Europe) so will need to get a car and one of the options is a 911 993. I intend to use it as a Daily Driver but would love to hear anyones experience of owning one? Even just general feedback. 

Well if the car is GCC specs and not an import then you shouldn't get worried about the heat as that's what the job of GCC specification to take care about all the extreme weather condition persists in the Middle east arid weather.

I had the 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo for almost 2 years and never faced any engine heating or AC inefficient cooling at all, of course, it was GCC specs.

If you are thinking of importing your existing Porsche to Dubai upon your move, then definitely it's a very bad idea as the amount of money you will spend on fixing the heat issues will be quite expensive knowing the Porsche and the age of your model. I paid 1500 dhs (410 USD) for one headlight shell from scrap guy and when I asked the reason, I got the reply: "Sir, it's a Porsche"

However, if you have some emotional attachment to it then nothing is impossible in Dubai, there are tons of Porsche experts who can modify it to withstand GCC specifications.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

You'll see quite a few 911s here of all ages. They don't seem to any issue but don't think majority use them as a daily driver. Although there are a rare few cases who I have seen using them to go to work and back . 

Hey Gaurav - i would be buying it locally but it doesnt list if it is GCC spec or not (it is something i would check if / when taking it for a test drive). Thanks for the advice about the GCC conversion as i would have considered that an option if the 993 was not GGC spec. 

I know a few people driving them. Other than the fact that can burn oil at an alarming rate, there are minimal issues other than wear and tear just like any other car. 

As far as I know the only difference in the GCC spec 993 is that the fan switch and thermostat kick in at a lower temperature so in theory, you could buy a European car and just swap these 2 cheap parts and have the same car, minus the Arabic stickers. 

• Like (+1) 1