•  
Advertise here

LAND ROVERS VS TOYOTA

Owning both of the beasts at some point in my life, I can write tons on this subject but still, I will not think to compare both as these two beasts are totally different animals. Maybe I am wrong here, due to my Japanese biased mentality.

Toyota Land Cruiser 2003 - 2008 Shape

• ULTRA RELIABLE - 5 Stars.
  • Efficient and low maintenance - that's why safari company loves this.
  • Not a tall dune climber, but reasonably good offroader.
  • Great towing and cargo capacity.
  • Fuel guzzler due to 4.5 engine designed on V6 setup than V8.

Land Rover Discovery 1999 - 2004 Shape

• Reliability is questionable - weak brakes, electrical and plenty of sensors failure, EAS failure on new models.
  • Efficient but comes with a high maintenance cost as everyone who touches LR should have a Midas touch.
  • Not a dune climber, not a good offroader - unless you hone your offroad skills to the extreme to get all the juices out.
  • Good towing and cargo space, third row - too cramped.
  • Fuel efficient due to V8 setup.
  • Awesome highway ride quality due to V8 and well-balanced ride unlike LC
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Btw, my last accident (my fault) happened in 2008 due to LR discovery weak brakes (known issue), where I slammed on brakes and still this tank run into a traffic jam and hit because I didn't have time to pump the brake in advance. I knew this weak brakes since the day I bought it and showed plenty of LR experts and everyone says this is the max braking power you can get out of this beast as its heavy, as it has mars technology bla bla and most you can do is pump the brake before every red light to be ready. After that accident, I stopped driving that as all LR discovery braking is not as sharp and crispy like Japanese or German cars. 

After 2008 in the LR4 shape they have improved tremendously, as I have tested few LR4 and they seem to have awesome crisp brakes.

The Discovery @Gaurav is describing is a Series II Discovery which he had, it ended production in 2004. From 2005 onwards the LR 3s and 4s are a totally different beast. They dont share a singe screw or nut among them. So unfortunately the entire post is incorrect regarding LR3s and 4s. 

Just like the Land Cruiser 100 series and 200 series are two complete different car. Although in their case they might share some running gear.

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

The Discovery @Gaurav is describing is a Series II Discovery which he had, it ended production in 2004. From 2005 onwards the LR 3s and 4s are a totally different beast. They dont share a singe screw or nut among them. So unfortunately the entire post is incorrect regarding LR3s and 4s. 

Just like the Land Cruiser 100 series and 200 series are two complete different car. Although in their case they might share some running gear.

Now I am more confused.

4 hours ago, Barry said:

If you want a land rover you’ll have to pay for my visa because you’ll need a full time mechanic. 

@Barry what confusion I got myself into I am not buying any of them but driven both. Driving LR3 was different than LC200. On Road drive only. I am happy with my POS. But really I would love to drive LR3 OR 4 off-road.

2 hours ago, desertdude said:

I have edited my entire post: 2006 to 2004

36 minutes ago, DiamondDallas said:

Now I am more confused.

Don't be confused, as apart from the 2004 year I mistakenly mentioned 2006, but every word still stands correct for Land Rover Discovery as per your OP.

2005 onwards came LR3 and then from 2010 onward came LR4.

Few of my friends drove both offroad and LR4 is way much better than LR3 but they both are very heavy for dune bashing but very good for offroading - overall.