•  
Advertise here

Tuck Tuck Noise near the Driver Side Footwell - Cherokee XJ

Srikumar

In my last off-road drive I had a Tuck Tuck Noise coming from near the Driver side Footwell (felt like near the brake and accelerator pedal). This was quite prominent while driving on 4H mode and it would happen only while accelerating. The moment I remove my feet from the accelerator the noise would stop.

I have been having a squeeching sound while in 2H mode in normal road driving.

There is no exaggeration of noise while doing turns both in 2H or 4H mode.

Is this a sign of failing U joints on the front drive shaft?

Any suggestions or advise?

Thanks@barry. I yanked the front drive shaft and there is a slight bit of play while the rear DS is Rock solid.

Guess the issue is with the U Joints. Will get them checked.

Would it be a problem to continue running the vehicle with this issue?

There is no set limit on when the part will fail. You can run 10k or you can run 1k. 

The big killer is torque. Sticking the throttle down in inappropriate places. 

UJs are easily changed. 15 minutes labour. Loosen the circlips, slip the joint out and slip the new one back In. 

the front shaft dosent have uj its a bearing type of shaft ends like cv joints on both ends not the 4 bolts type ujs but smaller 6 or 8 allen key type of fixture on it just have to remove and install another one guess i sand went in to the boots

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the OP, the noise is due to some play in the front differential, which will eventually get worse with time. This is despite the fact that the differential has had proper oil levels and changes. Tried a thicker oil but it doesn't seemed to have worked.

So either will have to look at a rebuild or try to get one from the scrap yard.

Edited by skumar83

If you know anyone who has a dial gauge and a magnetic stand and some engineers blue, it would be worth checking the pinion height, preload and backlash. Sometimes you can save a diff by adding a few shims here or there. There are some good guides online and it’s not rocket science if you have the proper measuring equipment. Bearings do also wear out and can be changed. 

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the OP, in my last drive the noise was just getting worse and after we exited, i felt a heavy vibration at the speed of 20 - 30 km / h. Had to winch it to the garage, and when inspected it turned out to be the front drive shaft joint at the transmission end and not at the front differential end.

Got a clean front drive shaft from the scrap yard and had it replaced. The entire noise has disappeared. 😄

Will be giving the car a good test during the next weekend drive as I finally have a mental peace knowing that the car is ready to be pushed to the limit 

• Haha (+1) 1