•  
Advertise here

Murquab to Lisalli to Qudra Lake offroad track in GPX and KMZ format

Gaurav

Amazing off-road terrain from Murquab to Lisalli to Qudra Lake in Dubai that offers an amazing mix of medium - tall dunes along with the surprise of small technical dunes.

Plenty of opportunities to play and have good dune bashing or dune driving along these set of lovely white sand dunes.

Advisable for seasoned lead driver along with fewbies and intermediate drivers only.

This area is not suitable for newbies or absolute newbies off-roaders.

Minimum cars: 3 capable proper 4x4 cars with recovery points.

Sharing the track of exact drive and terrain we followed.

Staring: Marquab Waypoint: 24.820579º N - 55.572085º E

Finished: Qudra lake Waypoint: 24.849747º N - 55.345336º E

Complete route track in GPX and KMZ file attached below - Enjoy.

image.png

image.png

Murquab Lisalli Qudra .gpx

Murquab Lisalli Qudra .kmz

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Fantastic ! Thanks for sharing. As soon as the camping season picks up this will be on my list of trails to discover.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Gaurav sharing the complete track details with GPX & KMZ attachment will help all of us who were not the part of the drive and also other offroad groups or any individuals who would like to explore..Lovely serji..

EXPLORE THE WORLD....

3 hours ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Fantastic ! Thanks for sharing. As soon as the camping season picks up this will be on my list of trails to discover.

Your welcome, but don't go less than 3 cars as this area is quite tricky and filled with soft sand and pockets.

2 hours ago, Asif Hussain said:

@Gaurav sharing the complete track details with GPX & KMZ attachment will help all of us who were not the part of the drive and also other offroad groups or any individuals who would like to explore..Lovely serji..

EXPLORE THE WORLD....

That's the whole idea to share the trail and let others explore the world the same way we see it.

I will be doing this for my other 70+ tracks soon.

• Like (+1) 2

@Gaurav I tried to use both your files to see if they can be used in Google Maps and Google Earth for driving that same route (so to use the complete track as reference and do the exact same drive). 

Google Maps apparently doesn't support the import of both these files, but Google Earth does. After installing Google Earth on my phone i was able to open the KMZ file, but it seems that Google Earth does not constantly update my live location. So if i would try to use Google Earth as navigation device to do the same route, i'd have to push the "show location" button every few seconds.

I found a workaround by emailing both files to my phone and opening then in Motion X, but still need to try if that works and updates my precise location permanently.

I googled around and many people same to face these issues. The older versions of Google Earth seemed to work and update the live location constantly. No idea why they stopped doing that.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/mMKBSrLU6u4

OK guys, seems i was a bit too soon to worry, i found the proper way to get them into Google Maps (IOS):

Do this part with a desktop computer, not phone:

1) Download the files on a desktop computer.

2) Google "My Maps" and select "Create a new map"

3) Click on the blue "import" on the upper left hand corner, and drag and drop the KMZ file in there.

4) Give a name to your map. It will be saved automatically.

This part involves using your phone:

5) Now restart your Google Maps application in your phone. Open the menu with the three lines.

6) Click on "Your places" and select "Maps". You should now find that new map you made in there.

it goes without saying that both your desktop computer as your phone should be logged into the same google account.

Image-1.jpg

Edited by Frederic Nuyttens
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If you have Motion X then you don't need anything else, just import the track in motion X, go to the place and it will constantly show you that track and also it can record your track if record track is switched on.

Motion X is one the BESTEST application I have tried for offline GPS that supports the topography maps to show you the dunes formation even. That's how I first drove in this area in 2017, by avoiding the small technical dunes and going over the medium and big dunes. Of course, you need mobile internet for constant topography update, but in UAE Etisalat coverage is awesome unless you are deep inside Liwa.

Btw, @Rahimdad has recently used one of the Motion X track by intelligently importing in some Android App, so will wait to hear from him and see how he did it and how good was that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

If you have Motion X then you don't need anything else, just import the track in motion X, go to the place and it will constantly show you that track and also it can record your track if record track is switched on.

Motion X is one the BESTEST application I have tried for offline GPS that supports the topography maps to show you the dunes formation even. That's how I first drove in this area in 2017, by avoiding the small technical dunes and going over the medium and big dunes. Of course, you need mobile internet for constant topography update, but in UAE Etisalat coverage is awesome unless you are deep inside Liwa.

Btw, @Rahimdad has recently used one of the Motion X track by intelligently importing in some Android App, so will wait to hear from him and see how he did it and how good was that.

Superb. Which map type do you recommend in Motion X to have the topography ? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Frederic Nuyttens said:

Superb. Which map type do you recommend in Motion X to have the topography ? 

Use Google Satelite, it's crispy clear on 16 x zoom level. In some area, it has an overlap of images and discolors from one tiled image to another but still, dunes formation is fully readable.

If you can't read dunes now, then I am sure after few drives and comparing the phone screen to real life dunes in front you, you will pick up that art very soon.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks@Gaurav. I have tried and tested many maps for off road use on android but none of them come any close to Motion X. Unfortunately this app does not exist on Android and is for IOS only. Finally the other day I stumbled on ViewRanger and this allowed me to save the track you send me in KMZ format. I was able to change it as route and it allowed me to follow the track while on the drive. I still am not sure how to read the terrain on ViewRanger and my other thing is the screen keeps timing out. Other then that it's been a relief to have a half good app as it can only develop for the better. Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1