•  
Advertise here

How to tell the age of a car

Barry

Look at the corner of the window. Cars have a stamp like this. 65D6D1B8-C1D9-4195-ABCF-651B79698C04.jpeg.5042dbfbba5fe64876c5765874f8dc07.jpeg

See the little 8 in the bottom line? That means the glass was made in the 8th year of the decade, ie 2018. Obviously you’ll need to make an educated guess at the decade but that shouldn’t be too hard. Now we know the glass was made in 2018, there’s a fair chance the rest of the car was made in 2018 too. Now, not every car has this date stamp on the glass but a lot do so it’s worth checking. 

Another method is to remove something plastic from the car and look on the back. You may see a small stamp that looks like this,

AB3FE331-C32A-4F3B-9155-A79B500556E5.png.e38ac5ebe58a81ab8eea08d44220f7da.png

This will tell you the month and date the plastic part was made. Again, you can use this as an educated guess as to what year the car was built. 

Not age of the car but age of that part. Many times while DIY'ing and ripping apart bits I see parts that are far newer than the car, which I then know must have been replaced somewhere along thr line. 

Similarly you sometimes find older parts and then you know someone replaced that bit with a used bit if its too old.

9 hours ago, desertdude said:

Don't need to, ton of online VIN checkers

Sure, but my point was that a VIN number is a more accurate way of checking a car's age than going by date stamps on parts. That said though, your idea of using an online VIN checker is a whole easier than actually learning to decode VIN's.