•  
Advertise here

Rather quiet in here!

zaidane

Welcome zaidane, which year Z you got and how much you paid, as my cousin is after one of these too and looking for some ownership advise for road and track (if you do) both. He is a new license young lad, so getting strong resistance from the family.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

8 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Welcome zaidane, which year Z you got and how much you paid, as my cousin is after one of these too and looking for some ownership advise for road and track (if you do) both. He is a new license young lad, so getting strong resistance from the family.

...as perhaps he should. This is not the time to learn to drive a sports car. 

21 hours ago, Barry said:

Post some pics of your car!

Will do as soon as I take a semi decent one! I blame my phone's camera but it's probably me lol

20 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Thanks Gaurav, what is his budget looking like? I would say market is now low 50s for a 2013, low 60s for a 2014. Those are the 2 years that I looked at the most tbh.

I have to say that @treks has a point, the car is VERY tail happy so if he is an inexperienced driver then he'll need to be careful he doesn't bin it round a bend.

As for tracking, I have no idea as to costs and reliability of a 370 on track. I am trying to find track day insurance but it's proving difficult. Don't think I would risk it without insurance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zaidane said:

Thanks Gaurav, what is his budget looking like? I would say market is now low 50s for a 2013, low 60s for a 2014. Those are the 2 years that I looked at the most tbh.

Is this prices for GCC or American spec?

GCC, as I'm fairly new to Dubai and don't know any reliable mechanics I stayed well clear of American specs due to the stories of flooding and write-offs and what not. Not sure what the carnity view is on the whole GCC vs NA debate?...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zaidane said:

GCC, as I'm fairly new to Dubai and don't know any reliable mechanics I stayed well clear of American specs due to the stories of flooding and write-offs and what not. Not sure what the carnity view is on the whole GCC vs NA debate?...

Very wise decision to stick to GCC, that's what we all believe in too here as we have learned by burning our fingers few times.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I think the whole GCC v US spec is mainly to scare people into paying more for local cars. If an American car can handle the heat in places like Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, then it can handle the same heat in the gulf. Easy to get the history of American cars on carfax too. 30 or 35 dollars will give you the history and tell you if it has been wrecked, flooded, stolen etc.

GCC v EU is a different story but it's only small things like thermostats and fan switches that are cheap and easily replaced.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I think the whole GCC v US spec is mainly to scare people into paying more for local cars. If an American car can handle the heat in places like Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, then it can handle the same heat in the gulf. Easy to get the history of American cars on carfax too. 30 or 35 dollars will give you the history and tell you if it has been wrecked, flooded, stolen etc.

GCC v EU is a different story but it's only small things like thermostats and fan switches that are cheap and easily replaced.

Specs wise yeah, its just a myth. But here Ive ran a bodyshop plus garage in Shj Saniya and know what goes on here. There are a lot of really bad write offs and then repaired as cheaply as possible to sell as fast as possible. 

But if you know what you are doing, there are deals to be had. Specially on older cars as insurance and repairs are expensive out there and older cars not worth much, even small fender benders are enough to write them off. 

So buy a damaged/salvage car directly from the importer or import one yourself if you can and then have have it repaired to your satisfaction. 

Bought a late model jeep xj for a friend in pretty neat nick just needed a new front grill and condensor and some work on the steel bumper. Bought it for 9k way back in thr day, didnt need more than 1500 in parts and repairs and he used it for donkey ages and then sold it to his cousin. 10.5k is not bad even today for a late model XJ

Then bought a late 90s or early 2000s model 4 dr Rav  4 for a friends uncle , which just had a tiny dent above the rear taillight. Think it was for 12k or something back then.

But have to be careful of rust with US imports and a through checking needs to be done.

Buddy almost got stuck with a fully modified TJ wrangler. It had just some tiny spots of rust on the frame, nothing that couldnt be cleaned out. 

But when we went to register it the VIN number in the frame was too rusty to read, and when it the rust was scrapped off it took a few digits with it! Lol

That became a slight mess, but eventually were able to register it.

• Like (+1) 1