zaidane

Rather quiet in here!

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, stig said:

On the other hand, two of my petrolhead friends have clean US spec cars that were non salvage and brought in because the manual versions weren't sold here. Occasionally, such cars do exist. So, due diligence and knowledge on the car and issues can help save some $$$

2

I totally agree, that some special need with manual or some other feature or option that existed only in import and non-gcc then it makes sense, but it shouldn't be a salvage title.

And if you are a mechanic or workshop owner then buy salvage at dirt cheap and fix it yourself to proper safety standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this discussion. I want to take it further. I think we are agree if you are not in car businees it is very risky to have American spec car because they are mostly salvaged. What about Japan specs Mercedes and BMW cars. They are coming here with crazy low milage and good condition. What you guys thinking about them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sertac said:

I like this discussion. I want to take it further. I think we are agree if you are not in car businees it is very risky to have American spec car because they are mostly salvaged. What about Japan specs Mercedes and BMW cars. They are coming here with crazy low milage and good condition. What you guys thinking about them? 

Jap imports are pretty sweet and in very good nick and worth every penny, good climate, no sandy weather and heat and usually pretty well looked after. I've bought jap imports that looked like they had just rolled of a factory floor, well majority of them are like this, most of them have a Japanese auction sheet and there are tons of sites where you can learn to decode them and thats pretty much a very decent pre inspection sheet, if its not available there is not much to fret here. 

Like this example, is a 4.5 out of a total of 6, 6 is a brand new vehicle. 

Image result for japanese car auction sheet

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/auction-guide/

But be aware some people and a shady dealer or two sometimes try to sell a jap import thats already been registered here in the UAE, driven here for a year and two and then been tried to pass off as a fresh import, but they are pretty easy to spot and don't have custom papers but rather local papers.
 

 

Just an example video here, and those who love JDM crap this is an awesome channel featuring a lot of jap domestics
 


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 2:10 PM, Gaurav said:

Btw, while I was about to buy my Mustang, I drove one of my neighbors Mustang (US Spec) in Warqa by chance and while hitting full gas, the car does burn out very aggressive but while doing burn out car tilt on left and move fwd. I tried few times as he was my neighbor and then thought that in all 4-5 attempts I can't lose the steering control and no matter how much countersteering I correct car still tilt on left and move forward. Finally, this guy confronted that this is how the car has been behaving since he bought soon after the import and it seems some driveshaft balancing issue has not been corrected in the past. Apart from this everything is fine "bro"

Do you mean the whole body of the car leaned over? If so that’s normal for anything for with high torque when taking off. I couldn’t find any videos of cars doing it but check these trucks drag racing and you can see it a bit. 

Its not a driveshaft issue. The engine is trying to turn harder than the wheels and differential will allow it. This causes the engine to tilt over and the rest of the vehicle to go along with it. Try revving something with a big v8 at a standstill and you will feel the car rocking from side to side a little. This is a small demonstration of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barry said:

Do you mean the whole body of the car leaned over? If so that’s normal for anything for with high torque when taking off. I couldn’t find any videos of cars doing it but check these trucks drag racing and you can see it a bit. 

Its not a driveshaft issue. The engine is trying to turn harder than the wheels and differential will allow it. This causes the engine to tilt over and the rest of the vehicle to go along with it. Try revving something with a big v8 at a standstill and you will feel the car rocking from side to side a little. This is a small demonstration of it. 

Probably what is know as a poor man's peel. When the rear LSD clutches are worn out and only one tyre is doing the peeling. 

Leaving big 1's in the parking lot instead of 11's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if the LSD is good, a torquey engine will still make the car lean to one side. Even with a welded diff, if the engine is good the car will still lean over. Basic physics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barry said:

Even if the LSD is good, a torquey engine will still make the car lean to one side. Even with a welded diff, if the engine is good the car will still lean over. Basic physics. 

Yeah you are pretty much spot on, once a car breaks traction the tail end will try to overtake the front end.  Fishtailing. Nothing to do with driveshafts and balances. An unbalanced drive shaft will cause nasty vibes even when driving like a nun above a certain speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, guys, this is a different scenario of lifting the front due to excessive torque like Fast and Furious cars, but what I mentioned was the car was moving ahead doing a burnout but not in straight line and slightly tilted on one side. I had my Mustang for 2 years and know how 450 hp in 1.5 ton body do the burnout in a straight line, plus that car owner knew that issue as a known problem since he bought and couldn't rectify that deformity probably due to expensive repairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

OK, guys, this is a different scenario of lifting the front due to excessive torque like Fast and Furious cars, but what I mentioned was the car was moving ahead doing a burnout but not in straight line and slightly tilted on one side. I had my Mustang for 2 years and know how 450 hp in 1.5 ton body do the burnout in a straight line, plus that car owner knew that issue as a known problem since he bought and couldn't rectify that deformity probably due to expensive repairs.

Did your friend's Mustang have wider or better tires than yours? If so,the added traction will increase the tilt  because more of the engines' torque is being transferred to the body because it is more difficult  to make wide tires spin. The same is true for tires with high traction ratings. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now