•  
Advertise here

Dubai Based Careem Quits Turkey Market

Car News

Dubai-based ride-hailing company Careem Networks FZ launched its car service in Turkey just last year and is now abandoning it to shift its attention towards the $1.5 billion taxi market.

Talking about the decision, Ibrahim Manna, the managing director of emerging markets at Careem stated that the company is in talks with some potential partners to improve the quality of the taxi service in the region. Other news suggests that Careem’s rival, Uber Technologies which is another San Francisco based ride-hailing company, plans to acquire Careem and expand its operations in the Middle East as well.

Both Careem and Uber have faced government crackdowns and have paid a huge amount of fine in their attempt to launch the ride-hailing service in Turkey.

Although these ride-hailing companies offer a much better ride quality and comfort compared to a regular taxi, they are definitely giving a hard time to the traditional cab drivers. Share your opinion with us whether you prefer these ride-hailing services or love traveling in the regular taxi.

I used to have Uber and Careem apps on my phone. Any time I've needed them I've been stuck way out in the middle of nowhere and they didn't show up. RTA taxi has always come first after waiting 30+ minutes for Uber/Careem. Maybe they're better organized in other countries but my experience has been unless you're in a central city location they're useless. 

Uber and Ola are very effective in India and have been a welcome change to the  otherwise useless taxi and autorickshaw drivers who had attitudes like a king. But even in India the govt brought regulations which were meant only for taxi hailing apps such as the driver's criminal record verification etc. They never implemented such things for the taxi or the auto service. I think same thing is happening in Turkey were the govt is looking to protect the local taxi service.

Competition has always been good for the consumer as it generally improves the quality of service.

Here in UAE, I have never tried any of the taxi service as they are so God damn expensive.

3 minutes ago, skumar83 said:

Here in UAE, I have never tried any of the taxi service as they are so God damn expensive.

Taxis here are cheap. Try taking a taxi in Europe. I have seen me paying £15 (75 dhs) to get home from the pub a mile away (1.6 km). 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Taxis here are cheap. Try taking a taxi in Europe. I have seen me paying £15 (75 dhs) to get home from the pub a mile away (1.6 km). 

Dont bring conversion rates into the equation otherwise a taxi ride in Zimbabwe probably costs a billion Zimbabwean dollars

• Like (+1) 1

That depends on the level of income. Also in UK, you have an excellent public transportation system, the same cannot be said about UAE which is still looking to develop it and where still a large number of people are dependent on taxis.

You would get a can of beer much cheaper in UK than you would here. So you can't directly compare.

1 hour ago, skumar83 said:

That depends on the level of income. Also in UK, you have an excellent public transportation system, the same cannot be said about UAE which is still looking to develop it and where still a large number of people are dependent on taxis.

You would get a can of beer much cheaper in UK than you would here. So you can't directly compare.

Public transport in my place is awful. There is one bus out in the morning and one in at night. If you don’t have a car you have to rely on overpriced taxis. 

Alcohol isn’t a good analogy either. A bottle of vodka is 20dhs (£4) from the bootleggers in al Quoz. You will be doing well if you can find a bottle for under £15 (75 dhs) in my place. Alcohol is way cheaper here. 

On 9/22/2018 at 7:42 PM, desertdude said:

Dont bring conversion rates into the equation otherwise a taxi ride in Zimbabwe probably costs a billion Zimbabwean dollars

You are being overly optimistic thinking a taxi ride costs a billion Zim dollars. I have relatives there, and according to them, taxi rides could cost upwards of 10 billion dollars for rides under 5 km. If you could find a taxi that had fuel in its tank, that is. 

To put this in perspective, consider that the biggest bank note (Zim dollars) in circulation in that country (when I was last there, about 2 years ago) had a face value of 100 trillion dollars, and they came with expiry dates- usually about three months from the date of issue.

According to the local economists, Zimbabwe's hyper-inflation rate was then so high that it could not be calculated, but  those that have tried seemed think it was somewhere in the many-billion percent range when the currency was scrapped about two years ago.

US dollars is now the official currency, but more than half of the country's population can go for months without seeing a foreign currency bank note. So now, people barter home-bred chickens and backyard-grown vegetables for taxi rides- if they can one with fuel in its tank, that is.  

Edited by treks