•  
Advertise here

Most hated car on carnity

Barry

I like how treks mentioned the rightful definition of hate, instead of just being plain vanilla, bland or over a popular car.

Thinking on the same line I will have two cars that gave me real tough time fixing them and eventually I have to sell them as is due to losing patience, time and money.

• Jeep Grand Cherokee (Magnum) - always overheating in the desert - used for 2 months as a project car
  • Land Discovery Series 2 - highly Ineffective braking - used for 6-8 months and couldn't fix the brakes

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

The series 2 Disco is a steaming pile of dung, no doubt about it, but it has a certain character about it. I drove a 300 TDi for a while. It was super unreliable. Had to bypass the immobiliser system just to get it to run and rust was eating into places I have never seen before. Anyone who says aluminium can’t rust has never had a Land Rover before. Horrendous turning circle too. I used it to pull a car transporter trailer and I was forever getting stuck in tight places. But hate it? No. It was a nice place to sit and pretty quiet and relaxed on the open road. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

The series 2 Disco is a steaming pile of dung, no doubt about it, but it has a certain character about it. I drove a 300 TDi for a while. It was super unreliable. Had to bypass the immobiliser system just to get it to run and rust was eating into places I have never seen before. Anyone who says aluminium can’t rust has never had a Land Rover before. Horrendous turning circle too. I used it to pull a car transporter trailer and I was forever getting stuck in tight places. But hate it? No. It was a nice place to sit and pretty quiet and relaxed on the open road

Ive had plenty of Land Rovers and none of mine rusted :D only the body panels excluding the roof are aluminum rest is regular metal including the frame, but rust in general isnt a problem in these parts.

My 2nd series one was the car I had the longest and put a Ton of clicks on it, drove it 400kms daily from dxb to AD twice a day. Last I remember it was close to 350k kms I bought it at 170k kms for a measly 8k also here parts are plenty and cheap and its a old school truck with no electric nonsense  and very easy to work on. I did 90% work on it myself. SO Treks rant doesnt apply here.

Series 2 1st gen not so good because BMW fucked it up with their shitty over engineering by incorporating useless tech where none was needed. Like getting rid of the center diff lock feature and replacing it with shitty traction control which was always broken. Even though the transfercase had the ability to lock BMW just removed the linkage to it. Many owners have reverse engineered it by fitting one from a series 1 disco. 

For me though Big Red ( my disco ) was the most reliable and cheap and cheap to fix car I ever owned. The most expensive item I ever bought and fitted was a used transfer case for 350dhs which me and my bud swapped out in a 3-4hours.

45 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Ive had plenty of Land Rovers and none of mine rusted :D only the body panels excluding the roof are aluminum rest is regular metal including the frame, but rust in general isnt a problem in these parts.

My 2nd series one was the car I had the longest and put a Ton of clicks on it, drove it 400kms daily from dxb to AD twice a day. Last I remember it was close to 350k kms I bought it at 170k kms for a measly 8k also here parts are plenty and cheap and its a old school truck with no electric nonsense  and very easy to work on. I did 90% work on it myself. SO Treks rant doesnt apply here.

Series 2 1st gen not so good because BMW fucked it up with their shitty over engineering by incorporating useless tech where none was needed. Like getting rid of the center diff lock feature and replacing it with shitty traction control which was always broken. Even though the transfercase had the ability to lock BMW just removed the linkage to it. Many owners have reverse engineered it by fitting one from a series 1 disco. 

For me though Big Red ( my disco ) was the most reliable and cheap and cheap to fix car I ever owned. The most expensive item I ever bought and fitted was a used transfer case for 350dhs which me and my bud swapped out in a 3-4hours.

Yeah but you live in the Middle East and have done for a long time. Nice dry climate. Try owning one in Ireland where it constantly rains and they put salt on the roads for 3-4 months of the year. I can make any engine run for 30 years but it’s sad watching the body and chassis of a good car falling apart. I guess the only good thing is that it taught me how to weld. 

My disco started to eat through at the rear doors where the arch part is. Then the bottom of the doors started falling apart. It’s possible to weld aluminium but it’s not like steel where you grind the bad part away and add new metal. When aluminium corrodes, the whole panel turns to a white powder, aluminium oxide.

I’d love to see a build thread on Bid Red. One thing this site is lacking is proper build threads 

Yeah thats what I said, rust isn't a problem here for any car.  

Too late for a build thread, bought and built more than 10 years ago and let go around a couple back. 

Wouldn't be fun one anyway. Didn't need much anyways. Just a 2" coil spring lift, camel cut and some front bumper trimming just for looks. And it was good to go. 

Oh and bigger 270/65 tyres, hence the need for a camel cut

4 hours ago, desertdude said:

SO Treks rant doesnt apply here.

Rant? I don't care, cars are still no different from washing machines. :-D

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, treks said:

Rant? I don't care, cars are still no different from washing machines. :-D

By that I meant old Land Rovers being hard to work on. And parts not being available. Both of them dont apply here, as in Dubai. 

As for being white goods I have the same feeling about most cars. Think Ive said that few times here already Specially jap crap ecoboxes and small to mid size suv's but not only limited to jap crap. 

• Like (+1) 1